Pro Gamer 2003
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I really need help please. Since the start of GCSEs I've been eyeing on a career in medicine mostly to become a doctor. I've recently achieved the GCSE grades and I was so esctatic. Then I went to change my subjects for a-levels to Maths Chemistry and business as I chose a BTEC as I didn't have the predicted grades back then. Both Biology and physics were full. I don't really like biology at all and I don't mind physics at all. I then chose Business Studies as the alternative option. However, I don't really like it even though it early days. I would like to seal my place in a university doing medicine. What shall I do?
Pro Gamer 2003
Rep:
?
RazzzBerries ecolier
_Mia101
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Pro Gamer 2003)
I really need help please. Since the start of GCSEs I've been eyeing on a career in medicine mostly to become a doctor. I've recently achieved the GCSE grades and I was so esctatic. Then I went to change my subjects for a-levels to Maths Chemistry and business as I chose a BTEC as I didn't have the predicted grades back then. Both Biology and physics were full. I don't really like biology at all and I don't mind physics at all. I then chose Business Studies as the alternative option. However, I don't really like it even though it early days. I would like to seal my place in a university doing medicine. What shall I do?
You can get into med school without biology but you'd have a limited number of options.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
Have you done any research?
Chem, Bio and one other A level are your easiest route with most options.
By only doing one full science and Maths you have restricted your options.
You would need to check what they will do with the BTEC as many Med schools dont tend to like them.
Go through the list and check which ones are left.
https://www.themedicportal.com/appli...o-be-a-doctor/
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Post to https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5611422 but you'll just need to read through the requirements and find out which unis don't need Biology.

Business studies, Chem and something else is OK but without biology your options are somewhat limited.
lucyddf72
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I know Lincoln and Canterbury Christ Church universities are both opening Medical schools very soon...maybe you could have a look at their entry requirements
Pro Gamer 2003
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Have you done any research?
Chem, Bio and one other A level are your easiest route with most options.
By only doing one full science and Maths you have restricted your options.
You would need to check what they will do with the BTEC as many Med schools dont tend to like them.
Go through the list and check which ones are left.
https://www.themedicportal.com/appli...o-be-a-doctor/
I'm not doing a BTEC anymore. I've chosen to do A-level Business Studies as Physics and Biology were full.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
I'm not doing a BTEC anymore. I've chosen to do A-level Business Studies as Physics and Biology were full.
As said previously, then find another school if needs be or a different method of study.
RazzzBerries
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'd reiterate the advice above, Pro. Hope it works out. :hugs:
Pro Gamer 2003
Rep:
?
Thanks RazzzBerries.
Pro Gamer 2003
Rep:
?
Is business studies seen to be a general subject
RazzzBerries
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Depends on where you want to go. Some unis specifically have a list of "traditional" and "non-traditional" subjects, or stuff they prefer for a certain course. It's worth checking those out.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by lucyddf72)
I know Lincoln and Canterbury Christ Church universities are both opening Medical schools very soon...maybe you could have a look at their entry requirements
Already opened. Nottingham Lincoln was in Clearing this year too for 2019 starters.

Don't see why not. Only Further Maths when taken with Maths is not counted. Don't do general studies or critical thinking but both are no longer offered.
Last edited by ecolier; 1 year ago
Nununu
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you dont enjoy Biology, then dont do Medicine.
Pro Gamer 2003
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nununu)
If you dont enjoy Biology, then dont do Medicine.
No I've been thinking about this since I was 13 and I am passionate to do medicine and I want to help people out.
Pro Gamer 2003
Rep:
?
(Original post by RazzzBerries)
Depends on where you want to go. Some unis specifically have a list of "traditional" and "non-traditional" subjects, or stuff they prefer for a certain course. It's worth checking those out.
Is their a link. If so please send.
RazzzBerries
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There's many lists out there, like specific ones for Oxbridge, Russell Groups, Red Bricks etc. If you Google it, it should be a top results. :yep:
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2...al-schools.pdf
Pro Gamer 2003
Rep:
?
Out of the Standard Entry Medicine I could go to:

university of buckingham medical school
kent and medway medical school
university of leeds medical school
university of manchester school of medicine
Queen Mary University, Barts and the London School of Medicine
university of sheffield medical school
university of st andrews medical school
Nununu
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No I've been thinking about this since I was 13 and I am passionate to do medicine and I want to help people out.
There many other fields you can work in where you can help people out.

The first two to three years of Medicine are heavily focused on the Biology of humans. I mean have you really thought about if this is really the degree for you, or do you simply have an idea in your head of what a doctor does, but perhaps doesn't meet the reality.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (637)
33.58%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (799)
42.12%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (376)
19.82%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (85)
4.48%

Watched Threads