The Student Room Group

My A-level Options: (Please help and don't skip)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by StudentRep Annabel
Hi there!
Congratulations on your GCSE results :biggrin: If you're interested in studying medicine you do typically need A-level Biology. I'm a social media assistant for the University of Kent and have some information on the new Kent and Medway medical school too, which does have typically lower entry requirements to medicine than other medical schools. Unfortunately though, you do need A-level biology and chemistry, but the third A-level can be almost anything else :smile: If you're able to still get into biology somehow, then I'd definitely recommend it if you'd like a career in medicine. The entry requirements for Kent and Medway Medical School are AAB so you have a bit more breathing room than some other medical school entry requirements.
Obviously though, if you definitely don't want to or can't do biology then this is all a little bit useless info, but though I'd share just in case you were still thinking about it :biggrin:
Best of luck with your A-levels!

It's good Medicine is becoming slightly less competitive.

I've many more med schools in clearing as well
Reply 21
Original post by Pro Gamer 2003
Out of the Standard Entry Medicine I could go to:

university of buckingham medical school
kent and medway medical school
university of leeds medical school
university of manchester school of medicine
Queen Mary University, Barts and the London School of Medicine
university of sheffield medical school
university of st andrews medical school

Why not Aberdeen, ARU, Bristol, Dundee, UEA, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Keele, Newcastle, Oxford, QUB, Sunderland? None of them require Biology, so why could you not apply to them, too?
Reply 22
Original post by Elishaa02
For all medical schools apart from about 3/4 you need bio Chem and another subject. If your aiming for Cambridge or similar typically it’s another science, Maths or physics, and I think it’s compulsory for Cambridge.

You don’t want to limit your choices already because getting into medical school has a lot of steps and you could fall at any one of them (further limiting your options)

There are around 18 med schools that are happy without Biology and around 10 that are happy without Chemistry
Reply 23
I’m pretty sure Oxford don’t mind it. They even consider BTEC science students. If you really hate bio that much, although you have escaped it for now and if you do get into medicine in any of the institutions you could get into, you will have to go on to learn biology while doing medicine anyway. It would just be easier when you already have an idea of what is being taught in the future because medicine is an already tough degree. Having said that, I do encourage people to take A-Levels they know they will get a better grade in but that only applies to the third subject for medicine after bio and chem. You’re already lowering your chances of getting in when you’ve still got the UKCAT/BMAT, the interview process and voluntary work you need to tackle and medicine is fiercely competitive. A lot of doctors suffer from depression and even after graduating, it’s a long journey. I think you should really think about whether medicine is right for you. Biology and chemistry are at the heart of medicine and you’ll be studying biology for 3/4 years straight so you might become miserable and 6 years is a long time.
Original post by GANFYD
Why not Aberdeen, ARU, Bristol, Dundee, UEA, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Keele, Newcastle, Oxford, QUB, Sunderland? None of them require Biology, so why could you not apply to them, too?

Very far away from me I want to stay closer to family.
Original post by StudentRep Annabel
Hi there!
Congratulations on your GCSE results :biggrin: If you're interested in studying medicine you do typically need A-level Biology. I'm a social media assistant for the University of Kent and have some information on the new Kent and Medway medical school too, which does have typically lower entry requirements to medicine than other medical schools. Unfortunately though, you do need A-level biology and chemistry, but the third A-level can be almost anything else :smile: If you're able to still get into biology somehow, then I'd definitely recommend it if you'd like a career in medicine. The entry requirements for Kent and Medway Medical School are AAB so you have a bit more breathing room than some other medical school entry requirements.
Obviously though, if you definitely don't want to or can't do biology then this is all a little bit useless info, but though I'd share just in case you were still thinking about it :biggrin:
Best of luck with your A-levels!

Thank you.
med contains a lot of bio, so if you don't like the subject maybe think of other options that fully interest you :smile:
Reply 27
Original post by Pro Gamer 2003
Very far away from me I want to stay closer to family.

Ok, then you are seriously limiting your choices

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending