Help personal statement

Watch this thread
Elishaa02
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I can’t write a personal statement. I just can’t. I gave my draft 1 to my ucas advisor at college and she said it’s really bad. I’m applying for medicine and don’t know how to put what I learnt from it on paper. The stuff I thought I learnt I put it on but for some things like helping at primary school I just don’t know how to relate it to medicine.
And she said that it doesn’t have passion. I REALLY want to do medicine. But I don’t want to sound like a typically medical applicant because one of the reasons I want to do it is because I want to help people
I also don’t know what type of academic stuff to put on it either

Can some please help me. It’s stressing me out now.
Seris
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
Wish I could help you but am not a medical student.
vanessa2422
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Have you read some of the example personal statements on TSR? Obviously don't copy anything but it can be useful to see how people have been able to link their studies and activities to their degree.
username2775496
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I've been through the whole application process. This is the structure that we were advised to use when writing a medical personal statement.

Start with a trigger, what event led you to pursue medicine? This could be a personal anecdote, a book you read, a documentary you saw.
Then start writing about your work experience chronologically. Take a case that you saw and reflect on it. Highlight the importance of certain qualities such as communication, teamwork, empathy, resilience and explain why they are vital to healthcare professionals.
Have you done any MOOCs? EPQs? Try and link your extracurricular learning to your work experience to further emphasis your love of learning and curiosity about how the human body works.
Have a small paragraph about your interests and hobbies to show that you have a way of de stressing and relaxing and that you are capable of having a good work life balance.
End with a statement to explain why the med school should give you an offer, what can you give?

Don't know how much sense that made but if you have any questions, PM me. Good luck!
Elishaa02
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by slin2018)
Have you read some of the example personal statements on TSR? Obviously don't copy anything but it can be useful to see how people have been able to link their studies and activities to their degree.
I have but there’s so many. They helped me write my personal statement draft but it wasn’t good enough
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Your medicine PS should look something like this:

1. Briefly why you want to do medicine
2. Work experience in hospital/GP etc. - reflect on what made the doctors good (skills and qualities)
3. Volunteering - showing how you developed your skills relevant to being a doctor
4. Non-related extra curricular activities (very brief)
5. Conclusion - summing up why medicine and why you are good.

You could also talk about reading around it, but that should only be included if you have space after 2 and 3

Hope that helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (70)
19.07%
The paper was reasonable (137)
37.33%
Not feeling great about that exam... (108)
29.43%
It was TERRIBLE (52)
14.17%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed