The Student Room Group

Are Plagiarism Detectors safe for Personal Statement?

I used some plagiarism detectors for no reason and all of them said my PS is 100% unique and i know that since i did not copy anyone. Am i in trouble of using those detectors cause i saw some threads in TSR where it said some plagiarism detectors often steal your content. Are they really safe?
Any suggestion is appreciated !
Original post by 36 That Boy
I used some plagiarism detectors for no reason and all of them said my PS is 100% unique and i know that since i did not copy anyone. Am i in trouble of using those detectors cause i saw some threads in TSR where it said some plagiarism detectors often steal your content. Are they really safe?

Difficult to say for sure. How many detectors did you actually use?

Putting your personal statement anywhere (other than UCAS or TSR's PS Reviewing section) has an element of risk attached, and the amount of risk will depend on if/how the website logs your usage.
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Difficult to say for sure. How many detectors did you actually use?

Putting your personal statement anywhere (other than UCAS or TSR's PS Reviewing section) has an element of risk attached, and the amount of risk will depend on if/how the website logs your usage.

Around 6/7 detectors. This is freaking me out now :frown:
Around 6/7 detectors. This is freaking me out now :frown:

Well, what's done is done. Try to stay calm.

@Interrobang @SarcAndSpark - any advice or knowledge about these detector sites?
I'm afraid I'm not too sure on plagiarism detectors altho logically it wouldn't make much sense

AFIAK, the bigger risk with plagarism detectors is that they store your work in their databases- which can occasionally be a problem for people who want to publish something. This won't cause a problem with UCAS. It's possible, but unlikely, a dodgy site could take your PS and sell it on to someone, but I have never heard of this happening.

It's worth noting that online plagarism detectors aren't super useful for a PS, as UCAS also compares your PS to other personal statements, most of which won't be published online.

I can't 100% reassure you there won't be an issue, but I do think it's really unlikely!

@PhoenixFortune thanks for the tag.
Reply 6
I used a few plagiarism checkers and were asking me what type of essay this was and in what subject. I didn’t think too much of it and I still might be paranoid but I just hope nothing bad comes out of this. I’ve sent it off now and I’m just getting scared now.
Reply 7
I sent my UCAS off about 2 months ago and used about 6/7 plagiarism checkers too! All was fine and I received all my offers, I wouldn’t worry at all! :smile:
Hi I'm the OP of this post. So i submitted my application without any plagiarism related issue. So don't worry about it.
Reply 9
Hi I'm the OP of this post. So i submitted my application without any plagiarism related issue. So don't worry about it.

Gives me hope!!! My schools just about send my application
Original post by S1M001
Gives me hope!!! My schools just about send my application

Good luck with your application!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending