Emsmac1995
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi,
I'm wondering if anyone can help me with some advice. All the forums I've seen so far have been very dated - I graduated three years ago with a third class degree. I messed up pretty badly in third year. I'd really like to do a SCITT/PGCE in Primary Education. I intend to do a good year or more of voluntary experience within a school hopefully to boost my application along with a good personal statement..

Has anyone recently got onto a similar course with the same sort of experience?

Thank you
Mr M
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm no expert in Primary but I'm doubtful about your chances. You would have a chance in a shortage subject in Secondary.
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
04MR17 might be able to offer some advice?
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Emsmac1995)
Hi,
I'm wondering if anyone can help me with some advice. All the forums I've seen so far have been very dated - I graduated three years ago with a third class degree. I messed up pretty badly in third year. I'd really like to do a SCITT/PGCE in Primary Education. I intend to do a good year or more of voluntary experience within a school hopefully to boost my application along with a good personal statement..

Thank you
What subject is your degree in and what are your A Level grades? (or equivalent qualifications)
(Original post by artful_lounger)
04MR17 might be able to offer some advice?
Thanks for the tag. Mr M is always pretty spot on though. :yep:
Emsmac1995
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by 04MR17)
What subject is your degree in and what are your A Level grades? (or equivalent qualifications)

Thanks for the tag. Mr M is always pretty spot on though. :yep:
I studied Surface pattern design and i got the equivalent of Merit/B at college back in 2012
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I studied Surface pattern design and i got the equivalent of Merit/B at college back in 2012
In this case (and someone can correct me if I'm wrong) I doubt you'd be accepted straight onto a Primary Teacher Training course with these qualifications. Primary Education is usually fairly competitive and will often expect 2:1 or above for selection. I could see them stretching to a 2:2 if desperate/other reasons but not quite a third.

Do you have passes (C or above) in GCSE Maths, English and Science?
SarcAndSpark
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi,

Thank you
Unfortunately, I'd agree with 04MR17 that at the moment you wouldn't be a strong applicant for a primary education PGCE. Most unis do ask for a 2.1 or above.

Unfortunately, I'd also suggest that without a degree/A-levels in national curriculum subjects, you might struggle to find work.

Many applicants for primary teaching will have significant work experience, including paid experience as TAs etc.

If you're keen to work with children in this age group, my initial thoughts would be to consider working as a TA initially.
bwilliams
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I have come to offer some hope! If you are serious about going for primary, you will be fine with a third.
Your degree subject and previous education won't really come into play too much so don't stress about that. I am sure you will be able to link this to the national curriculum and many students enter the primary PGCE with a range of different degrees.

You will need to consider where you apply. In your position I would be selecting institutions that advertise 2:2 as a minimum. This will give you the best chance. Get as much voluntary experience as physically possible as this will definitely boost your application and make sure this is shown in your personal statement when you apply.

Staff will be very aware that a third class degree does not mean your only destiny is a rubbish teacher. There is only one reason why you would be declined with a third and that is due to staff being worried about your ability to write the assignments at 'masters level'. Your job is to make it very clear that you are capable. PGCE will always interview applicants if you are selected. They will definitely ask you or talk about concerns with your third, this is where you will explain how you had a difficult third year and you messed some things up, however, you are now three years on from then and you are ready to engage and work hard to develop your writing. You will also be able to access study support and show you're willing to do this. If you show your passion for primary education, have a hearty personal statement with a very good amount of experience they would be stupid to turn you away. A third class degree won't make you a bad teacher so I would absolutely go for it.

Good luck and feel free to message me if you need any help

PS I have a good friend and colleague who is a cracking teacher who happens to have a third in film and tv production!
sp00kymcflukey
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Love the optimism of above poster but my brother was rejected with a 2.1 in advertising because not relevant enough to NC.

I think you'll struggle to receive interviews especially in primary. Better to be realistic than go in deluded. Try and work as a TA for a few years and do an OU degree part time.
bwilliams
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by sp00kymcflukey)
Love the optimism of above poster but my brother was rejected with a 2.1 in advertising because not relevant enough to NC.

I think you'll struggle to receive interviews especially in primary. Better to be realistic than go in deluded. Try and work as a TA for a few years and do an OU degree part time.
That is unfortunate for your brother, however, the OP hasn’t got a degree in advertising. They have a degree in design and this does link to the curriculum.

There also could have been other factors that affected your brother’s application and therefore it is not helpful to compare his situation to the OP.

If you were creative enough, I am sure you could find ways of linking advertising to the NC.
Last edited by bwilliams; 1 week ago
GiddyKipper
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Can get QTS at a SCITT with a 3rd.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (188)
23.98%
Pop (191)
24.36%
Jazz (30)
3.83%
Classical (46)
5.87%
Hip-Hop (148)
18.88%