EstelleA
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
So I’m in bit of a dilemma. If I go to my school’s sixth form, I can do Media A Level (which I got a 7 in GCSEs), RE A Level (which I got a 6 in) and Politics A Level (which is new to me). I want to do an English Lit degree in university (preferably QMUL) but I won’t be to do English Lit in sixth form? Should I go to my sixth form anyways? Will universities still let me do the degree?

Or should I go to a college, where I can do English Lit, Media and History (which I got a 5 in GCSEs). However, I know for a fact I might get lower results in college, but my sixth form really isn’t giving me any options for English Lit. Advice?
EstelleA
Rep:
?
Bump
Kotrii10
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I suggest you check whether unis allow you to do the English lit degree regardless of not taking english lit at a-level and go on from there. However, I think english lit is compulsory for an english lit degree since the essay style and level of reading is much harder at a level and so therefore harder at uni, you might be behind in some way if you dont take english and they let you do the degree
RhynieChert
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
most English literature courses at uni require English lit A level, do your own research on uni web pages but yeah if you definitely want to do an English degree you're best to go to the college and work hard to ensure you don't get lower grades
RhynieChert
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
from QMUL's English BA requirements:

"Grades ABB at A-Level. This must include grade A or above in A-Level English Literature or English Language and Literature. Applicants with A-Level English Language may be considered on an individual basis."
EstelleA
Rep:
?
(Original post by RhynieChert)
most English literature courses at uni require English lit A level, do your own research on uni web pages but yeah if you definitely want to do an English degree you're best to go to the college and work hard to ensure you don't get lower grades
I got a 6 for English Literature, should I even do a degree?
RhynieChert
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by EstelleA)
I got a 6 for English Literature, should I even do a degree?
if you're interested in it and want to then sure. you probably won't be able to go to one of the most prestigious unis but there are plenty that will take you as long as you get a B or above at A level. you've got over a year before you need to make your choice of uni so definitely consider all the options until then, whether you want to go to uni or get a job/apprenticeship, what subject you want to do. you may even want to take a gap year before applying to uni so you can apply already knowing your a level grades and have an extra year to decide on subject. I think though if you're strongly considering an English degree you really need to do English A level to give yourself the most options
EstelleA
Rep:
?
if you're interested in it and want to then sure. you probably won't be able to go to one of the most prestigious unis but there are plenty that will take you as long as you get a B or above at A level. you've got over a year before you need to make your choice of uni so definitely consider all the options until then, whether you want to go to uni or get a job/apprenticeship, what subject you want to do. you may even want to take a gap year before applying to uni so you can apply already knowing your a level grades and have an extra year to decide on subject. I think though if you're strongly considering an English degree you really need to do English A level to give yourself the most options
Thanks, but I cannot help but think whether I should do a media studies degree (though I’m not sure if there are any universities that do in London). I got a 7 in media studies, higher than English. And if I stay at my sixth form I know I will get that same grade or maybe even higher without the added weight of the other subjects. My choices are either good class and teacher for media or a college to do english lit. If I go college, I will have to do history (in which I got a 5). If I go sixth form, I will not be able to do English.
Tabathaxx
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I would imagine an English A level is kinda vital if u r really thinking English at uni . if you dont do the A level u have pretty much written that degree off .

what are your longer term plans ? having 2 traditional subjects at A level ie English and History will probably keep more career options open too (but only if you can get decent grades in them of course !)
RhynieChert
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by EstelleA)
Thanks, but I cannot help but think whether I should do a media studies degree (though I’m not sure if there are any universities that do in London). I got a 7 in media studies, higher than English. And if I stay at my sixth form I know I will get that same grade or maybe even higher without the added weight of the other subjects. My choices are either good class and teacher for media or a college to do english lit. If I go college, I will have to do history (in which I got a 5). If I go sixth form, I will not be able to do English.
that's tricky, and i think really you will need to follow your gut on this one, but whichever route you go down you will have plenty of options left open to you, but best to do as much research on uni subjects as possible now before you make that choice

there are media degrees in london - a quick google search will find you some at birbeck, brunel, roehampton, kingston etc
Last edited by RhynieChert; 5 months ago
EstelleA
Rep:
?
that's tricky, and i think really you will need to follow your gut on this one, but whichever route you go down you will have plenty of options left open to you, but best to do as much research on uni subjects as possible now before you make that choice

there are media degrees in london - a quick google search will find you some at birbeck, brunel, roehampton, kingston etc
Thank you, I’m leaning more towards my sixth form slightly- god knows I can’t study independently, and college might not be the thing for me. Thanks for your help
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Exeter campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (277)
61.15%
Yes- I don't like it (22)
4.86%