University course transfers

Watch this thread
SokolikGT
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Just a small bit of background info on my current situation, I've received my A level results 3 weeks ago as AAA for maths, physics and russian.

For the past year I've been hoping to study physics with the University of Manchester being the ideal choice (and quite frankly the only uni choice I care for) due to personal circumstances.

I wasn't able to apply for the course there through UCAS due to being predicted BBC with the C in physics (would've rejected me straight away and it would've been a waste of a uni choice) and so I hoped to improve my grades (which I did) so that I could get into the course through adjustment.

However upon receiving my results and checking adjustment I found that the course had been filled up completely and so I instead I applied and got in for a place in Electrical and Electronics Engineering there with the intention of attempting to transfer courses within the first few weeks when the highest proportion of students tend to switch uni's, switch courses or even drop out.

My main worry is still being rejected or denied entry to Manchester's physics course for whatever reason.
It has been recommended to me by family members to schedule an appointment with UoM's phys dept head to explain my situation and show my interest and enthusiasm for the course in hopes that I'll be considered for a place should one suddenly become available.

Would anyone happen to have gone through, or know anyone who has gone through similar processes or issues of switching courses successfully?
Any help or insight is greatly appreciated!

Kind regards from someone who is drained and exhausted from being uncertain about which which way university could go for them after working hard to improve grades and to get in in the first place
evaristegalois
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
I think you shouldn't worry too hard, since you have already achieved the grades. See if you can defer.

I think you can either defer to next year (2020) or either you can do what you mentioned which is wait for people to drop out and switch course (not sure how guaranteed that is). I seriously don't think there is anything wrong with deferring to next year or taking a gap year. But also you have nothing to lose if you get onto the Electrical Engineering course and try switch, because you can just then drop it if you aren't allowed to switch.

What are the entry requirements for Physics at UoM (or what have you been offered)?
SokolikGT
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by evaristegalois)
I think you shouldn't worry too hard, since you have already achieved the grades. See if you can defer.

I think you can either defer to next year (2020) or either you can do what you mentioned which is wait for people to drop out and switch course (not sure how guaranteed that is). I seriously don't think there is anything wrong with deferring to next year or taking a gap year. But also you have nothing to lose if you get onto the Electrical Engineering course and try switch, because you can just then drop it if you aren't allowed to switch.

What are the entry requirements for Physics at UoM (or what have you been offered)?
The listed entry requirements are A*AA however with contextual offers given for AAA grades. I've personally not been given any sort of offer from UoM as I never applied through UCAS until I went through adjustment for engineering however I've heard most people receiving offers of AAA for the course and even of people getting into the course with those grades despite being given the higher offer of A*AA.

It's worth noting that Manchester Uni has taken this years exams into consideration with their entries for courses as several A level subject courses have been undergoing reforms for this year resulting in exams of increased difficulty (prevalent for this years AQA chemistry and OCR MEI maths exams seeing as quite a few people from my school performed below their offers in chem but were let in irregardless)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (273)
42.06%
The paper was reasonable (269)
41.45%
Not feeling great about that exam... (60)
9.24%
It was TERRIBLE (47)
7.24%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed