have you ever extracted adult teeth for braces? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi guys,
So has anyone who has had adult teeth extracted for braces noticed any negative changes to their face because of this? Things like a receeded chin, flatter and sunken face or narrower smile? Im being offered braces but id have to have 4 teeth out and have read some awful things (from patients and dentists alike) about the consequences of doing so to people's faces after the braces have come off years down the line. Im so scared, idk if im going to be making a huge mistake id especially appreciate answers from adults who have grown with this and explain if theyve noticed any bad changes to their face. Or even if you know someone else who has. I really appreciate any replies and advice - i tried talking to my ortho about it but i was just told, 'then just dont have braces then' and they just brushed off the concerns like they were nothing.
Girl19_
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
soo i got braces back in year 6 and i had 4 teeths removed 2 upper ones and 2 lower ones. The most Brutal thing ever😭 I had too many teeths so they had to make room to enable the other teeths to move into the right position. I got my adult teeths removed at a young age so i didnt notice much change in my face back then. But it was worth it tbh.
MinaBee
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I had to have that done when I had braces a few years and apparently it's pretty common. I haven't noticed anything you've mentioned.

If you're worried maybe you could to another dentist and ask for a second opinion? I'd try and stay away from Google, people are going to be more vocal about negative things than positive.
RuneFreeze
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi guys,
So has anyone who has had adult teeth extracted for braces noticed any negative changes to their face because of this? Things like a receeded chin, flatter and sunken face or narrower smile? Im being offered braces but id have to have 4 teeth out and have read some awful things (from patients and dentists alike) about the consequences of doing so to people's faces after the braces have come off years down the line. Im so scared, idk if im going to be making a huge mistake id especially appreciate answers from adults who have grown with this and explain if theyve noticed any bad changes to their face. Or even if you know someone else who has. I really appreciate any replies and advice - i tried talking to my ortho about it but i was just told, 'then just dont have braces then' and they just brushed off the concerns like they were nothing.
I don't know if this is helpful but originally I was told that I would need 1 or 2 teeth out, but then they said they'd put the braces in and see how it turns out. Turns out, I didn't need any teeth after all, but it wouldn't have affected my decision on whether to get them as your gonna end up with better teeth anyway.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Girl19_)
soo i got braces back in year 6 and i had 4 teeths removed 2 upper ones and 2 lower ones. The most Brutal thing ever😭 I had too many teeths so they had to make room to enable the other teeths to move into the right position. I got my adult teeths removed at a young age so i didnt notice much change in my face back then. But it was worth it tbh.
Hiya! Thanks for your reply! when you say you didn't notice much change back then, does that mean you're seeing these kinds of changes now? Also, i'm glad it turned out well, since it was worth it! if you don't mind me asking, did you have any kind of overbite or were your teeth really abd/ ard to brush before/ - i know this is something really personal to ask so yyyou dont have to answer that if you dont want to! Thank you again for sharing your experience!
Anonymous #1
Hiya! Thanks for your reply! when you say you didn't notice much change back then, does that mean you're seeing these kinds of changes now? Also, i'm glad it turned out well, since it was worth it! if you don't mind me asking, did you have any kind of overbite or were your teeth really abd/ ard to brush before/ - i know this is something really personal to ask so yyyou dont have to answer that if you dont want to! Thank you again for sharing your experience!
* i meant to say bad / hard to brush - my keyboard is being weird
Anonymous #1
(Original post by MinaBee)
I had to have that done when I had braces a few years and apparently it's pretty common. I haven't noticed anything you've mentioned.

If you're worried maybe you could to another dentist and ask for a second opinion? I'd try and stay away from Google, people are going to be more vocal about negative things than positive.
Thanks for replying, i really appreciate it!! if you dont mind me asking, how many years has it been since you had the braces removed? Also, did you have it done when you were young? - i'm 18, but I dont think it'll make much difference? Again I really appreciate the insight, and yeah, ik I shouldnt be looking through google, because you're right - but i just couldnt help myself and kept worrying .
Girl19_
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I had an overbite and still do tbh. But quite alot of people have tbat anyways. uhhh i never had issues brushing my teeth but i had braces for 4 years or so. my lower teeth were alright but like 4 teeths had gotten behind my front teeth. And my top teeth were just crossing crossing over one another and i had one of them vampire tooth that was just really high up in my gums but thats about it.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Girl19_)
I had an overbite and still do tbh. But quite alot of people have tbat anyways. uhhh i never had issues brushing my teeth but i had braces for 4 years or so. my lower teeth were alright but like 4 teeths had gotten behind my front teeth. And my top teeth were just crossing crossing over one another and i had one of them vampire tooth that was just really high up in my gums but thats about it.
ohhh okay, thanks for the reply again. for me, my teeth aren't that bad. I have okay top teeth with two teeth that stick out a little and the bottom teeth are just a bit crooked. im really trying to sum up whether its worth getting rid of teeth for braces to fix this. also, you haven't noticed any bad changes to your face even now right? thanks for everything so far, im really grateful!
plainjayne1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
If any changes start to occur, your orthodontist can counteract this by changing the position of your jaw, I don't know the tech speak for this. You won't be left looking worse. Speak to your orthodontist to put your mind at rest. They don't just put braces on and leave you, it's a long and changing process.
Girl19_
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
ohhh okay, thanks for the reply again. for me, my teeth aren't that bad. I have okay top teeth with two teeth that stick out a little and the bottom teeth are just a bit crooked. im really trying to sum up whether its worth getting rid of teeth for braces to fix this. also, you haven't noticed any bad changes to your face even now right? thanks for everything so far, im really grateful!
well i really didnt have a choice back then i was like 11 😂 i dont see any negative changes. maybe when the teeth comes out u will have the gap for awhile until the braces come together. Im 19 now and i looks great tbh. No negrets. If ur dentist is recommending to remove ur teeths then listen to it because they honestly do know what they are saying.
Last edited by Girl19_; 2 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (2)
9.52%
Disagree (2)
9.52%
Neither agree or disagree (7)
33.33%
Agree (6)
28.57%
Strongly Agree (4)
19.05%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise