I don't have a job at 17 and can't find one. Watch

Dazkojin
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I am currently 17 and in an adult school for multiple reasons. My parents currently have money issues and id really like to start taking care of myself or help pay for food when I can. But the thing is, I live in a small town that doesn't really have any jobs. The only ones that there are, are always taken and full. I don't have a driving permit yet but i'm doing it now. And I feel really guilty about it, feels really useless. I am also expecting to leave for college in next september, and I will need to find a job for sure but I am speaking of right now. Any suggestions or opinions on this situation ?
Hfhaeza
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
perhaps offering tuition, especially with subjects you are currently studying, as it will not distract you from main priorities being your studies and will be able to finance your needs.
Analyst89
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Waiter, catering assistant, porter
Supermarkets restaurants
Joinedup
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
A lot of retailers will start taking on for Christmas soon... even if it doesn't lead to a permanent job there you'll have some experience to put on your CV
Dazkojin
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by Analyst89)
Waiter, catering assistant, porter
Supermarkets restaurants
I probably didn't mention it properly but, that's my problem, there are no available jobs in my town and I can't get any outside because I have no way of going there on my own.
Dancer2001
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
You can try going around all the cafes and giving them your CV. Just asking for a job can genuinely work in some small places.
Someone has already mentioned this but everywhere takes on more staff before Christmas. Apply for everywhere again this month (all the shops, supermarkets etc.)
Tutoring younger students is also a good idea, but generally works better in summer (just before exams). It’s worth a try though.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Dazkojin)
I am currently 17 and in an adult school for multiple reasons. My parents currently have money issues and id really like to start taking care of myself or help pay for food when I can. But the thing is, I live in a small town that doesn't really have any jobs. The only ones that there are, are always taken and full. I don't have a driving permit yet but i'm doing it now. And I feel really guilty about it, feels really useless. I am also expecting to leave for college in next september, and I will need to find a job for sure but I am speaking of right now. Any suggestions or opinions on this situation ?
Try all shops, supermarkets, cinemas, restaurants, cafes, fast food places, tourist attractions, leisure centres etc etc in your area.
Analyst89
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Dazkojin)
I probably didn't mention it properly but, that's my problem, there are no available jobs in my town and I can't get any outside because I have no way of going there on my own.
Try everything in your area, indeed Is a good website.
Retired_Messiah
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
If you're proper good at whatever subjects you're doing you could see about doing GCSE tutoring. Your parents probably know at least one helicopter parent with a struggling child out there somewhere they can hook you up with.

Other than that, the places that don't have any jobs going right now may well have some at a later date: It's coming up to the sort of time where any uni students that have been working retail over the summer will be sodding off. In smaller independent shops/cafes, physically going in and asking if they've got anything going isn't a **** idea.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (425)
43.68%
No (103)
10.59%
I'm not old enough (445)
45.73%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed