UEdin- working opportunities for PhD students Watch

studentaccount4
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hello Everyone,
I am looking into the big question: how to fund for various expenses while studying for a PhD. I am interested in UEdin and hopefully will be accepted this year in their linguistics program (I received acceptance last year, but it fell through financially).

Are there opportunities for international graduate students to work at the university that can help cover tuition?
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by studentaccount4)
Hello Everyone,
I am looking into the big question: how to fund for various expenses while studying for a PhD. I am interested in UEdin and hopefully will be accepted this year in their linguistics program (I received acceptance last year, but it fell through financially).

Are there opportunities for international graduate students to work at the university that can help cover tuition?
You'd be looking at doing part-time jobs at your student union, working as a graduate teaching assistant, or finding shop/bar work. However, you may need to ask your supervisor's permission to take on supplementary employment if you plan to study full-time. Your first priority will have to be your PhD, so there's no point working all the hours under the sun to pay your fees only to get kicked out due to lack of engagement.

Whether you'd be able to earn enough to cover your fees completely will depend on a lot of factors, but you should always endeavour to get research council or university funding if possible - this will reduce or eliminate the need for extra employment.
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by studentaccount4)
Hello Everyone,

You aren't likely to be able to earn enough to make any dent in tuition costs etc. You are limited to something like 20 hours per week. Unless you've got some extraordinary skill, you'll be doing that at about minimum wage. That's £164 per week, in theory that's 8.5k per year, but you'd have to work every week of the year on those hours. That's not usually compatible with a PhD.
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by threeportdrift)
You are limited to something like 20 hours per week.
If they get research council funding, that drops to about 6 hours per week. :sigh:
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
If they get research council funding, that drops to about 6 hours per week. :sigh:
Yep, my maths was the maxi, maxi, max option, everything nibbles away at that.
studentaccount4
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Thanks everyone!

I was just wondering if there was a scheme of work that would cover tuition expenses. Doesn't appear to be. Thank you so much for the infor though!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate