The Student Room Group

Should I still do psychology a level?

The content seems interesting. However, I hate memorizing random facts and I hate humanities subjects and I also hate essay subjects - should i still do psychology a level?
there's a lot of memorising in psychology as there's lots of content. essays you don't have to write loads of but a good portion of the papers are longer mark questions so your essay writing technique should be pretty good. if you enjoy the content, you may end up not minding any of these things anyway.
you could always try taking 4 subjects including psychology and drop it a few weeks in if you end up disliking the subject.
Reply 2
If you hate essays, bluntly you’ll hate A-Level psych. The subject is rooted in science of course, but the extent of what you’ll have to learn is mostly for the sake of writing essays.
I don’t think you should because I think you won’t be able to get the best in it as you need to know how to structure essays and if you don’t know how to do a good exam technique, you won’t get the most marks. Plus memorisation seems to be a vital part in it especially the case studies but idk hopefully someone who did a level psychology give you a better insight.
Reply 4
Original post by nzy
If you hate essays, bluntly you’ll hate A-Level psych. The subject is rooted in science of course, but the extent of what you’ll have to learn is mostly for the sake of writing essays.

Original post by PetitePanda
I don’t think you should because I think you won’t be able to get the best in it as you need to know how to structure essays and if you don’t know how to do a good exam technique, you won’t get the most marks. Plus memorisation seems to be a vital part in it especially the case studies but idk hopefully someone who did a level psychology give you a better insight.

Original post by entertainmyfaith
there's a lot of memorising in psychology as there's lots of content. essays you don't have to write loads of but a good portion of the papers are longer mark questions so your essay writing technique should be pretty good. if you enjoy the content, you may end up not minding any of these things anyway.
you could always try taking 4 subjects including psychology and drop it a few weeks in if you end up disliking the subject.

How formulaic are the essays you have to write, if it's really free, then I might not choose it
Reply 5
Original post by Azimbrook1
The content seems interesting. However, I hate memorizing random facts and I hate humanities subjects and I also hate essay subjects - should i still do psychology a level?

If I 100% know all the content, but have really bad exam technique, how well can i do?
Original post by Azimbrook1
How formulaic are the essays you have to write, if it's really free, then I might not choose it

they're not a level english lit standard of difficulty, but there's not really a formula- your analysis/evaluation skills still should be p good. i dont think the essays are difficult but if you hate memorising then i wouldn't recommend taking the subject.

Quick Reply

Latest