HouseofMarvels
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I am doing an SCITT/ PGCE. I applied for textiles food technology, but I want to become a textiles teacher. I have been placed in a school which does not do textiles. I have been given a mentor who does design technology wood work. The provider made it very clear that they struggled to find any placement whatsoever (I was placed at the start of the summer holidays after nagging the provider repeatedly) and have clearly just shoved me in wherever they could because the staff at the school said they short staffed and desperate. I do not have a clue about the curriculum and the teacher said I can make wooden objects along with each class and see if I can pick it up but I want to learn to teach textiles not make jewellery boxes with year nine. My concern is I paid 9000 pounds to learn to teach textiles and now it will not happen. I am not getting what I am paying for. My training provider gives the impression of thinking creative subjects are interchangeable. Have any of you applied to do a particular subject and placed in a school where you are doing a totally different subject?
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by HouseofMarvels)
I am doing an SCITT/ PGCE. I applied for textiles food technology, but I want to become a textiles teacher. I have been placed in a school which does not do textiles. I have been given a mentor who does design technology wood work. The provider made it very clear that they struggled to find any placement whatsoever (I was placed at the start of the summer holidays after nagging the provider repeatedly) and have clearly just shoved me in wherever they could because the staff at the school said they short staffed and desperate. I do not have a clue about the curriculum and the teacher said I can make wooden objects along with each class and see if I can pick it up but I want to learn to teach textiles not make jewellery boxes with year nine. My concern is I paid 9000 pounds to learn to teach textiles and now it will not happen. I am not getting what I am paying for. My training provider gives the impression of thinking creative subjects are interchangeable. Have any of you applied to do a particular subject and placed in a school where you are doing a totally different subject?
As you're doing a SCITT, is this school going to be your main placement for most of the year?I can see that this really isn't an ideal option! It's tough to know what to advise. I would say the SCITT perhaps shouldn't have taken you on if they couldn't provide you with an appropriate placement- but obviously me saying that doesn't help you now!Does the school you're placed in offer food technology? Do any of the teachers (e.g. in art) do any textiles work? Do they do any textiles work with lower years? If there's a yes to any of these questions, then I'd push to get more involved with that. If none of these are options, I would go back to your SCITT and say you feel the placement is completely inappropriate. They should have a complaints procedure and I would suggest following it. However, if, early on, it doesn't look like there are going to be any changes, then I think you have to consider dropping out unfortunately, and looking for another course which can offer you what you want- a uni may have more options with where to place people! Obviously that's a really hard decision to make, as it does mean you loosing a year- but equally continuing with this year and ending up struggling as you don't have the skills you need to teach probably isn't the best option either. I'm sorry this hasn't been super helpful, and I do feel your provider has really screwed you over!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (198)
24.32%
Pop (197)
24.2%
Jazz (33)
4.05%
Classical (46)
5.65%
Hip-Hop (154)
18.92%
Electronic (54)
6.63%
Indie (132)
16.22%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise