My daughter got 9s in GCSEs in Scotland she’s in S5 doing highers is this right ? Watch

Moira.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
My daughter has just found out she’s a year older than everyone in her new school in Scotland even though she was almost a Straight A student for her GCSEs. Dose she have to do highers or could she go on to higher + straight away ?
Ballet
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Not sure if this helps but I know of one independent school who do GCSE thenHigher. At my Dd school they have had students come from down south and they have taken Highers as they are the usual route in to university here and are a one year course. AH are also a one year course and build on from the higher syllabus( it is a big jump though). Personally I would say yes better to do highers they will be a big jump from gcse and she can take 5. This is great as avoids having to narrow too soon. Others may disagree and this is only my opinion. If still in English system wouldn’t she still be at school/ college for another 2 years for A level anyway?
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Moira.)
My daughter has just found out she’s a year older than everyone in her new school in Scotland even though she was almost a Straight A student for her GCSEs. Dose she have to do highers or could she go on to higher + straight away ?
Highers are the equivalent to the first year of A levels, so yes, this is right. They are however, the main set of qualifications a student will do in terms of getting into uni.
In Scotland our cut off dates are different to in England (the current S5s are born between March 2003 and February 2004), which is why she's a little older than the other people in her year group. The age thing isn't a big deal though. Highers are the next qualification up from our GCSE equivalent (national 5s) though, so is the best next step for her academically.
Moira.
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Ballet)
Not sure if this helps but I know of one independent school who do GCSE thenHigher. At my Dd school they have had students come from down south and they have taken Highers as they are the usual route in to university here and are a one year course. AH are also a one year course and build on from the higher syllabus( it is a big jump though). Personally I would say yes better to do highers they will be a big jump from gcse and she can take 5. This is great as avoids having to narrow too soon. Others may disagree and this is only my opinion. If still in English system wouldn’t she still be at school/ college for another 2 years for A level anyway?
Yes she would have gone to do a levels at collage. Just wondering if she’s in the right place.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (2)
10%
Disagree (2)
10%
Neither agree or disagree (6)
30%
Agree (6)
30%
Strongly Agree (4)
20%

Watched Threads