Zara_qwe
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am deciding between english language or combined as I would likeep to ddo a law degree in university and Ia going to work hard for my a levels but which type of English would be easier to allow me to get the best grades possible along with hard work? And is english language similar to gcse? Many thanks
Mollysh24
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
English language is completely different at a level. Combined is not good at all, you don’t go into depth into either English. I would advise doing literature as it is an essay subject which provides good skills for arguing and a facilitating subject. However if you get a 6 in literature and a 9 in language maybe do language.
username4412650
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
English language A Level is very different than GCSE, it’s like a completely new subject. However, it is relatively easy, one of the easiest A Levels in my experience. I did both language and literature and found that literature was extremely difficult and far more work. I certainly wouldn’t do them combined, because it consists of the hardest aspects of both courses. Completely your decision though!
Zara_qwe
Rep:
?
(Original post by anonONE1)
English language A Level is very different than GCSE, it’s like a completely new subject. However, it is relatively easy, one of the easiest A Levels in my experience. I did both language and literature and found that literature was extremely difficult and far more work. I certainly wouldn’t do them combined, because it consists of the hardest aspects of both courses. Completely your decision though!
Thanks you but what do you mean by you found english language relatively easy? I only got a 6 in english language but will work hard for a levels also does it count as a facilitating subject I'm not fully sure
Zara_qwe
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mollysh24)
English language is completely different at a level. Combined is not good at all, you don’t go into depth into either English. I would advise doing literature as it is an essay subject which provides good skills for arguing and a facilitating subject. However if you get a 6 in literature and a 9 in language maybe do language.
Do u know how english language is different from gcse? Thanks though
Mollysh24
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Zara_qwe)
Do u know how english language is different from gcse? Thanks though
Well, I’m not sure at your school but at mine this is what it’s described as for a level:

Name:  1BBA3201-2ACA-4756-9AA5-C03097BB4CC6.jpg.jpeg
Views: 26
Size:  19.6 KB

So I’m sure you can see the difference or similarities from your gcse
Last edited by Mollysh24; 1 month ago
Zara_qwe
Rep:
?
(Original post by anonONE1)
okay thank you also what aspects of english language made you think it was one of the easiest a levels? what else a levels did you do?
Mollysh24
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
okay thank you also what aspects of english language made you think it was one of the easiest a levels? what else a levels did you do?
Just because it’s easier for one person doesn’t mean it will be for you. Keep that in mind
Zara_qwe
Rep:
?
Well, I’m not sure at your school but at mine this is what it’s described as for a level:

Name:  1BBA3201-2ACA-4756-9AA5-C03097BB4CC6.jpg.jpeg
Views: 26
Size:  19.6 KB

So I’m sure you can see the difference or similarities from your gcse
okay thanks it looks good it was just in gcse english language i didnt like the creative writing as much but does a level have that too? this is rly helpful btw
Mollysh24
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
okay thanks it looks good it was just in gcse english language i didnt like the creative writing as much but does a level have that too? this is rly helpful btw
This course in particular doesn’t. Check with your local college to make sure the course is right for you!
Zara_qwe
Rep:
?
thank you this was helpful
Possibly this
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I think you should look at this page:
http://www.bstubbs.co.uk/a-lev.htm

In short, English Literature has an A* rate of about 8.5% whereas for combined it's about 3% and language is just under 2%. This standard also continues for A's.

Therefore I believe to get into a good uni and do the degree of your choice, doing literature instead would be the way to go. Combined is better than language but both are much worse.
username4412650
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Thanks you but what do you mean by you found english language relatively easy? I only got a 6 in english language but will work hard for a levels also does it count as a facilitating subject I'm not fully sure
It is an essay based subject. I’m studying law at university and I did both language,literature and history. So if anyone tells you that English language isn’t good for law, that’s not true. English language is the easiest A Level. When I say that it is completely different from GCSE, I don’t mean that it’s different in a bad way. If you got a 6 at GCSE you’ll do fine. I knew people who got 4s at gcse and got A*s a level.
Zara_qwe
Rep:
?
Just because it’s easier for one person doesn’t mean it will be for you. Keep that in mind
yeah true thank you and im just curious what other a levels are you doing? My other a levels are history and sociology, thanks
Mollysh24
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
yeah true thank you and im just curious what other a levels are you doing? My other a levels are history and sociology, thanks
I do history and politics
Zara_qwe
Rep:
?
(Original post by anonone1)
it is an essay based subject. I’m studying law at university and i did both language,literature and history. So if anyone tells you that english language isn’t good for law, that’s not true. English language is the easiest a level. When i say that it is completely different from gcse, i don’t mean that it’s different in a bad way. If you got a 6 at gcse you’ll do fine. I knew people who got 4s at gcse and got a*s a level.
thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bradford
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate Open day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Oct '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (99)
24.26%
No (309)
75.74%

Watched Threads