lucyddf72
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
My son is starting a history degree at Canterbury Christ Church Uni next week
(😭😱🤞) and he previously studied a BTEC in Forensic science at college. I’m worried he’s going to find the transition from practical based to academic study really difficult. Anyone else made that transition? How did you find it? Any tips/ reassurance?
Last edited by lucyddf72; 1 month ago
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by lucyddf72)
My son is staring a history degree at Canterbury Christ Church Uni next week
(😭😱🤞) and he previously studied a BTEC in Forensic science at college. I’m worried he’s going to find the transition from practical based to academic study really difficult. Anyone else made that transition? How did you find it? Any tips/ reassurance?
That is a bit of a big switch?
He should have been preparing for it during the last year.
He needs to be able to write essays.
As its Canterbury, then I would expect the lead in to be gentle.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=write+h...f=nb_sb_noss_2
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=study+s...f=nb_sb_noss_2
lucyddf72
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
That is a bit of a big switch?
He should have been preparing for it during the last year.
He needs to be able to write essays.
As its Canterbury, then I would expect the lead in to be gentle.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=write+h...f=nb_sb_noss_2
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=study+s...f=nb_sb_noss_2
I know right?! I studied history and archaeology at a Russell Group uni... 28 years ago I hasten to add.. so I am expecting the onslaught to be as rigorous as it was for me.. and I did A levels. I’m hoping studying a subject he loves will bring the best out in his abilities which I am sure are lurking in there somewhere!
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I know right?! I studied history and archaeology at a Russell Group uni... 28 years ago I hasten to add.. so I am expecting the onslaught to be as rigorous as it was for me.. and I did A levels. I’m hoping studying a subject he loves will bring the best out in his abilities which I am sure are lurking in there somewhere!
I would say that things have changed a bit in the last 28 years. Now that unis charge such high fees, they are under pressure to support students more, and many academics claim they are under pressure not to fail students.

Most unis offer essay writing support via their library. I would encourage your son to make use of this. Also, if your son finds he is struggling, he should get in touch with his lecturers/tutors and ask for support.

In some ways, though, BTECs can be good preparation for uni. As A-levels have now moved to one terminal exam, some students can struggle with the transition to submitting coursework throughout the year- which your son will have some practice with.

Given the uni have accepted your son, I would assume they think he is capable of adapting to the course and at least passing!
999tigger
Report 1 month ago
I wouldnt worry. He has had at least a year to think about it. Strange not to do it for an A level, but there you go.
lucyddf72
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
I wouldnt worry. He has had at least a year to think about it. Strange not to do it for an A level, but there you go.
He didn’t get the 6 grade 6’s at GCSE he needed to do A levels... he only got 7 grade 4s which meant he was forced down the BTEC route and history was not an option. The only thing he was vaguely interested in was the Forensics so he did that ... at least he passed that and has made him realise he definitely doesn’t want to do that at uni. He has been mad about medieval history since he was a little boy so I’m hoping with this course he will fly! Thanks for the advice btw... I’ve ordered one of the books from your link.
Last edited by lucyddf72; 1 month ago
999tigger
Report 1 month ago
He didn’t get the 6 grade 6’s at GCSE he needed to do A levels... he only got 7 grade 4s which meant he was forced down the BTEC route and history was not an option. The only thing he was vaguely interested in was the Forensics so he did that ... at least he passed that and has made him realise he definitely doesn’t want to do that at uni. He has been mad about medieval history since he was a little boy so I’m hoping with this course he will fly! Thanks for the advice btw... I’ve ordered one of the books from your link.
Hopefully he has spent some time learning about things. he could have used the summer either to earn some money or just to binge on history docs.
Am sure there are some concise short histories of the world. Youtube is also a great place for documentaries. He needs to master essays quickly.
Sure it will all be fine if he focuses on improving his skills.
lucyddf72
Rep:
?
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
I would say that things have changed a bit in the last 28 years. Now that unis charge such high fees, they are under pressure to support students more, and many academics claim they are under pressure not to fail students.

Most unis offer essay writing support via their library. I would encourage your son to make use of this. Also, if your son finds he is struggling, he should get in touch with his lecturers/tutors and ask for support.

In some ways, though, BTECs can be good preparation for uni. As A-levels have now moved to one terminal exam, some students can struggle with the transition to submitting coursework throughout the year- which your son will have some practice with.

Given the uni have accepted your son, I would assume they think he is capable of adapting to the course and at least passing!
That’s very reassuring, thank you! When I started my degree in a subject I’d previously not studied, it was a baptism of fire as half the content was in Latin and I was absolutely clueless. I had to really up my game massively coming from a little provincial inner city college. I’m hoping things will be a little less brutal for him!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (127)
18.12%
It's just nice to be back! (192)
27.39%
Not great so far... (251)
35.81%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.69%

Watched Threads