Feel i have taken the wrong path

Watch this thread
travelcollegeguy
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Sorry to the student room, you can delete my first thread i made on the subject as i feel that the mature students part of the site is best placed for me anyway.
I am starting university in two weeks time. I am going to be studying international tourism management. I am 27 nearly 28 now so starting a bit later in life as i had some health and mental health issues. I am got a triple distinction star in travel & tourism which i am very proud of myself for. The thing is i have started to feel like i should have done more, I should have got a job in somewhere like McDonalds when i was younger, worked while i was studying at college and maybe then got a job in a hotel, travel agents or something like that. I now worry that if i go to uni, find i don't enjoy it or the work is too much for me that i don't have that experience to work in a hotel or travel agents. It is my dream to work in the travel industry but i worry i have left it too late.
Tearex
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
I have never studied your subject but know from having been at University that most Universities put a lot of money and effort into making their students employable - after all it raises their stats! You have a good 3 years of long holidays and time around your Studies in which to volunteer, work or take part in personal development run by your University (e.g. my former University runs an Easter Holiday Leadership scheme). Speak to the University careers Office early on about opportunities available, and look for relevant societies/University wide opportunities that can help you develop your skills. Keep regular support from health and wellbeing services at the University as you go to ensure you have a good support network too. Many people start off with little experience/skills but University is so much more than your course - take all the opportunities you can get
travelcollegeguy
Rep:
(Original post by Tearex)
I have never studied your subject but know from having been at University that most Universities put a lot of money and effort into making their students employable - after all it raises their stats! You have a good 3 years of long holidays and time around your Studies in which to volunteer, work or take part in personal development run by your University (e.g. my former University runs an Easter Holiday Leadership scheme). Speak to the University careers Office early on about opportunities available, and look for relevant societies/University wide opportunities that can help you develop your skills. Keep regular support from health and wellbeing services at the University as you go to ensure you have a good support network too. Many people start off with little experience/skills but University is so much more than your course - take all the opportunities you can get
Thank you for your reply
adam277
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Especially as a mature student you should be able to show work experience.
Employers do not like to see gaps in employment/education history.

What job are you looking to do out of the end of the degree?
Either way you should be looking for part time work when you start university. Maybe just at weekends or something.
For some employers having a proven track record of work is just as important as a degree if not more.

2 days a week should also be pretty manageable while studying and will definitely look good on your CV.
Don't rule out going back to McDonalds they can be very accomodating for students and give a lot of flexibility.
travelcollegeguy
Rep:
Yeah thanks Adam I would like to work in the tourism industry such as hotel management. Becoming a travel agent or even a holiday rep
adam277
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Could always try being a holiday rep during the summer holidays.
They don't usually ask for experience and often employ university students.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (19)
21.59%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
12.5%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (5)
5.68%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (15)
17.05%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (19)
21.59%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
21.59%

Watched Threads