charlottebee02
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
I’m looking to study Psychology and Criminology (starting Sept. 2020) at uni, but I’m not sure where to go.

Obviously it’s not guaranteed I’ll get offered a place at either but I’m not sure which one to have as a first choice.

I’m yet to look around Winchester, but I’ve been round Staffordshire and really liked it. It’s about 4 hours away from where I live which scares me a little but isn’t a huge issue. Winchester is only 2 hours away which feels a lot more comfortable for me.

Staffordshire is higher on the league table than Winchester (58th vs. 96th) but of course ranking isn’t everything.

I quite enjoy a nightlife, but night clubs aren’t everything so I’m not too bothered that Winchester isn’t up there with the busiest nightlife.

Does anyone have any reviews of either uni?
nells45581
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I live in Stoke and my parents teach at Staffordshire (philosophy/English Lit).

Don't. Just don't.
StaffsUniMaxie
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hey there,

I've just completed my degree at Staffs, and I enjoyed it so much that I'm returning to my master's!

Genuinely, I've loved my time at Staffs - the community is absolutely wonderful and the location is ideal for me (I wanted to be close to the countryside but still be able to order McDonald's to my house ahahahah). I've also had to utilise their support services this year, as I went through a really difficult time that was affecting my work, and they were so helpful and impactful that I still managed to come out with a First! Support services are something that not many people consider, but it's a really important aspect of uni. Hopefully you'll never need them, but it's good to check them out.

As for nightlife, I'm so much a club person, so I can't say much for that side of things. But the Union-ran venues on campus are actually awesome! The LRV hosts two club nights a week that are super affordable and usually a pretty good laugh. And the Ember Lounge is our on-campus 'pub' venue (and my absolute favourite spot on campus). They hold weekly events such as quiz night, karaoke and live sport coverage, and serve the best curly fries in Stoke (well, I think so, at least ahahahah).

Hope this helps a bit - let me know if you have any more questions!

- Gee
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (411)
67.38%
No (199)
32.62%

Watched Threads