where can i find paragraphs relating to the themes in gcse german???/////////
Saoirse13
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by GuruOfMaths)
where can i find paragraphs relating to the themes in gcse german???/////////
There should be paragraphs in the textbook. If you want more material, you could try the internet, but you are likely to find articles that are harder than GCSE level. Assuming it is still structured in the same way as when I took the exams a couple of years ago, you will need vocabulary relating to the themes for the reading and writing, which should be listed in the textbooks. Learning languages in context is more effective for most people than learning it with lists and exercises, but there are nonetheless effective methods. For example, you could write a list of the vocab you want to learn, read it through and the next day write down as many as you can remember and make an updated list of the ones you can't. In this way, the list should keep shortening by aprox. 15% each time and you will have eventually learnt all of them. Use them in context with your own writing and ideally in conversations.
GuruOfMaths
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Saoirse13)
There should be paragraphs in the textbook. If you want more material, you could try the internet, but you are likely to find articles that are harder than GCSE level. Assuming it is still structured in the same way as when I took the exams a couple of years ago, you will need vocabulary relating to the themes for the reading and writing, which should be listed in the textbooks. Learning languages in context is more effective for most people than learning it with lists and exercises, but there are nonetheless effective methods. For example, you could write a list of the vocab you want to learn, read it through and the next day write down as many as you can remember and make an updated list of the ones you can't. In this way, the list should keep shortening by aprox. 15% each time and you will have eventually learnt all of them. Use them in context with your own writing and ideally in conversations.
How can I integrate context?
Saoirse13
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by GuruOfMaths)
How can I integrate context?
Learning vocab in context means putting it into a paragraph. The best way of learning in context is using vocabulary in a conversation with a native speaker that relates to the current situation, e.g. talking about sport while playing sports. This means that you have a more complete memory of the meaning of the words and you can imagine the scenario and use it as a cue. For example, if you can remember going to the cinema with a German friend, you could picture a cinema and think 'Kino'. This is why watching videos in the target language is also helpful. Listening and reading help too, as the meaning of a word is largely dependant on how it is used in a sentence and seeing it in context will aid understanding (there are some words that don't have direct translations, so you just have to learn whole phrases).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (61)
29.33%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (15)
7.21%
No I am happy with my choice (116)
55.77%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (16)
7.69%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise