What is the aftercare like for a deceased donor? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
As stated above

As in, is the donor closed up and is it visible to relatives?
Nefarious
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
The donor will be closed up by the surgeon removing the organs. Exactly how things look afterwards will depend on the undertaker. Because the person is deceased the scaring on their abdomen etc. won't heal but these things will likely be covered. After care for relatives is generally very good.

More information about organ donation can be found at: https://www.organdonation.nhs.uk/
Kindred
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
As stated above

As in, is the donor closed up and is it visible to relatives?
They will cut into the body to remove the organs, then close the incision afterwards (like with surgery on living people). Since most organs would be in the abdominal area the incision would also be covered by clothes so the stitches would not be visible.
Surgery to remove the organs would be done in a normal operating room and they would need to be careful not to do any damage to the organs too so it would be just as dignified as any other surgery.

I imagine that with any sort of donation from a more visible area steps would be taken to make it look as nice as possible afterwards out of respect for the donor and their surviving family.
Last edited by Kindred; 2 weeks ago
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Thank you so much for answering my question.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

It is really important for me to be involved in helping make my university better

Strongly disagree (2)
9.52%
Disagree (2)
9.52%
Neither agree or disagree (7)
33.33%
Agree (6)
28.57%
Strongly Agree (4)
19.05%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise