Lils2003
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’ve recently started sixth form and after choosing my a level subjects ( Biology, Chemistry and Maths) I am having second thoughts about A Level maths. I achieved a grade 7 (A) in maths at GCSE however I have never previously studied Business. I wondered if I could get some advice from people who have previously studied either subject or are studying them now. I realise I’m at a bit of a disadvantage swapping subjects now that the year has commenced but I suppose the quicker I make the decision the better.
adzz.s1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey there, when I started my A-Levels I did biology, chemistry, maths AND business. For me, I found business the easier of the 4 and pretty straight forward. I ended up dropping business around the middle of yr 12 since my biology, chemistry and maths needed attention. I found business a bit dry although I really wanted to do it (could just be because of the teachers I had). I now only do bio,chem and maths and really enjoy all 3, especially maths. It’s always difficult at the start but I’d recommend sticking with it and putting the hours in. Once you do so, things will come to you easier and you’ll start seeing the fun side of the subject. At the end of the day I’d recommend doing what you want and if that means dropping maths and picking up business then go ahead! But for me personally, I’ve fallen in love with maths and am extremely happy I dropped business.

If you want extra math question which can really test you and improve your maths, use a website called madasmaths.com

On that website, the best place to get really good is on the maths booklets. Use the ones labelled ‘basic topics’, ‘standard topics’ and the mechanics and statistics section. Pick a topic to do and do a couple questions. Full working out is on the same pdf. If you have finished the first year of the maths course, you can go on I.Y.G.B practice papers -> A Level practice papers 2019 spec -> MP1 - practice papers.

These papers are on the same website and are of increasing difficulty with paper j being the easiest and z being the most difficult. The papers only start from paper J as it Papers A to i are still being made by the owner of the website.

I really hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck in you studies!
Last edited by adzz.s1; 1 year ago
Lils2003
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by adzz.s1)
Hey there, when I started my A-Levels I did biology, chemistry, maths AND business. For me, I found business the easier of the 4 and pretty straight forward. I ended up dropping business around the middle of yr 12 since my biology, chemistry and maths needed attention. I found business a bit dry although I really wanted to do it (could just be because of the teachers I had). I now only do bio,chem and maths and really enjoy all 3, especially maths. It’s always difficult at the start but I’d recommend sticking with it and putting the hours in. Once you do so, things will come to you easier and you’ll start seeing the fun side of the subject. At the end of the day I’d recommend doing what you want and if that means dropping maths and picking up business then go ahead! But for me personally, I’ve fallen in love with maths and am extremely happy I dropped business.

If you want extra math question which can really test you and improve your maths, use a website called madasmaths.com

On that website, the best place to get really good is on the maths booklets. Use the ones labelled ‘basic topics’, ‘standard topics’ and the mechanics and statistics section. Pick a topic to do and do a couple questions. Full working out is on the same pdf. If you have finished the first year of the maths course, you can go on I.Y.G.B practice papers -> A Level practice papers 2019 spec -> MP1 - practice papers.

These papers are on the same website and are of increasing difficulty with paper j being the easiest and z being the most difficult. The papers only start from paper J as it Papers A to i are still being made by the owner of the website.

I really hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck in you studies!
Thank you so much!! This is soooo helpful!! I’ll try to stick out the maths and see how it goes because I found gcse hard but still enjoyed it and I’m hoping I carry this on to a level even when I find it difficult. Your experience seems very positive of maths so I think I’ll stick with it, one of my close friends is doing business so I’ll see how she finds it over the next few weeks.

I considered doing 4 subjects then dropping one but I’ve started at a completely new school at the sixth form so I think it might have been too overwhelming.

And thank you so much for the resources. We were given bridging activities to do over the summer and the maths was quite challenging so I might look at that website to help with the change from gcse to a level
adzz.s1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No problem! A-Levels are going to be tough no doubt but just put in your 100% over these next 2 years. Also, you could perhaps think about doing your business as an AS subject meaning you do 4 subjects but your business will count as half a qualification since you only do the first year. This means that you come out with 3.5 A-Levels which could make you look good to any university you apply to.

Also with regards to chemistry and biology, they’re going to be VERY difficult and you might even get U’s. Keep going and don’t give up. I made the mistake of not revising for the entire year and got U’s in all my subjects throughout the entire year until my end of year exams where I revised a LOT and came out with an A and 2 C’s ( Maths - A, Biology - C and Chem - C ). I am now on my way to getting those C’s up to an A but I have put in a lot of work over the summer. Take every exam you do seriously and definitely revise for it. It makes life so much easier trust me.

Good luck!
Last edited by adzz.s1; 1 year ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How would you feel if uni students needed to be double vaccinated to start in Autumn?

I'd feel reassured about my own health (40)
14.23%
I'd feel reassured my learning may be less disrupted by isolations/lockdowns (92)
32.74%
I'd feel less anxious about being around large groups (35)
12.46%
I don't mind if others are vaccinated or not (23)
8.19%
I'm concerned it may disadvantage some students (17)
6.05%
I think it's an unfair expectation (71)
25.27%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
1.07%

Watched Threads