The Student Room Group

How to lose Fat and put on Muscle

I’ve been trying to lose body fat and become more in shape and I’m been doing this by eating less and working out, but when I seem to eat less and only consume 1000-1500 calories a day I don’t seem to put any muscle on and I stay skinny. Any advice and tips on how to lose body fat percentage but still be able to put muscle on?
Reply 1
In theory you could both lose fat and put on muscle, but it's very hard to unless you're a beginner. Also, by eating less you shouldn't realistically expect to put on muscle. It's ridiculous. I would advise that you work out what your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) is, I'll provide a calculator, then eat 400-500 less calories. However, don't drastically cut too much calories as I'm assuming you would like to keep some muscle. This method will ensure you maintain the most amount of muscle, and cut the most amount of fat.

https://tdeecalculator.net/
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
You mentioned you stay skinny. If you're already skinny you won't burn fat and put on muscle at the same time, even as a beginner. Your body just doesn't have the additional stored energy to do that. You'll need to eat more food if you want to build muscle. 1000 - 1500 calories is far too little.
Just to echo the above really, don't waste time trying to do both at the same time, you'll get nowhere unless you're a total beginner at lifting.
1000-1500 calories is a bad idea. Trust me I did that. I lost 10kg in 4months but I lost like 20kg on my deadlift and 10kg on my bench press and overheadpress. I also felt like ****. If you decide to go through with it make sure you are eating your vegetables coz that will make you feel fuller. But honestly less than 1500 calories isn't normal for most

I would cut on a smaller deficit. On a good programme you will be able to build strength and a small amount of muscle if you are a beginner.

EDIT: if you want to build muscle see how much weight you gain if you eat 2000 calories a day of proper food and proper weight lifting
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest