The Student Room Group

How to do well in a levels as a new yr 12?

So as the title suggests I'm 3 days into year 12 studying Biology, Chemistry and Maths, and to be quite honest I'm terrified from all the horror stories I've heard from people saying how difficult A levels are. My long term goal is to (hopefully) achieve 3 As in the subjects I've taken, but I have no clue how. So could anyone who is in year 13 or has finished their A levels give me some advice on how to do well in them? I think this would really help all the new year 12s! :smile: So far in my free periods I've been going to the library and doing homework/ finishing work in class, but I haven't made any notes. Should I start notes now? Thanks!
Original post by Huckipity
So as the title suggests I'm 3 days into year 12 studying Biology, Chemistry and Maths, and to be quite honest I'm terrified from all the horror stories I've heard from people saying how difficult A levels are. My long term goal is to (hopefully) achieve 3 As in the subjects I've taken, but I have no clue how. So could anyone who is in year 13 or has finished their A levels give me some advice on how to do well in them? I think this would really help all the new year 12s! :smile: So far in my free periods I've been going to the library and doing homework/ finishing work in class, but I haven't made any notes. Should I start notes now? Thanks!

Hi, just thought I’d let you know I’ve got some maths books for sale which might come in handy for you (since you’re taking A-Level Maths) - let me know if you’re interested :smile:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/A-Level-Advanced-Maths-Essentials-Core-1-2-and-4-Edexcel-AQA/312623517718?pageci=bed9210a-c13d-4e7d-8040-77cb8bd23bc3&epid=91515107

CGP A-Level Mathematics Core 3 - The complete Course for AQA

CGP AS-Level Mathematics AQA - Complete Revision & Practice

And on your question... what approach did you take for GCSEs & how did your GCSEs go in those subjects?

How are you finding those A-Levels so far (even though you’re only like 3 days in to it)?

Most people (esp older years) exaggerate how difficult those subjects are, and even so, their experiences won’t necessarily mean that you’ll have a similar experience at A-Level. It’s definitely a step up from gcse but answering those questions should help give you an indication of how you’ll fair

I just started year 12 also and i am doing 4 a levels (maths, chemistry, biology and economics). I will ultimately drop one so don't worry and i may switch one out for history. I'm in the same situation and these horror stories aren't exactly welcoming for the beginning of sixth form. Thanks in advance.
Original post by StarGuardian
And on your question... what approach did you take for GCSEs & how did your GCSEs go in those subjects?

How are you finding those A-Levels so far (even though you’re only like 3 days in to it)?

Most people (esp older years) exaggerate how difficult those subjects are, and even so, their experiences won’t necessarily mean that you’ll have a similar experience at A-Level. It’s definitely a step up from gcse but answering those questions should help give you an indication of how you’ll fair

For GCSE science's I pretty much just read the textbook without making any notes which I definitely think isn't the right approach for A levels so I need to change. In maths I just did past paper questions. In GCSE biology I got a 9, in Chemistry I got an 8 and in Maths I got an 8. So far it's very hard to judge as I've had very few lessons of each subject, and most of them has been spent recapping GCSE stuff. However, in Biology we have started doing A level content and so far (from the 3 lessons that I've had) it's been incredibly interesting... but I guess we'll see in the next few weeks. I really do hope people are exaggerating the jump :s-smilie:
For GCSE science's I pretty much just read the textbook without making any notes which I definitely think isn't the right approach for A levels so I need to change. In maths I just did past paper questions. In GCSE biology I got a 9, in Chemistry I got an 8 and in Maths I got an 8. So far it's very hard to judge as I've had very few lessons of each subject, and most of them has been spent recapping GCSE stuff. However, in Biology we have started doing A level content and so far (from the 3 lessons that I've had) it's been incredibly interesting... but I guess we'll see in the next few weeks. I really do hope people are exaggerating the jump :s-smilie:

Good luck :smile:

Yeah Only time will tell haha I’m sure you’ll do fine!
bump

Quick Reply

Latest