DavidMS19
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 weeks ago
Hi,

I need some advice with regard to the EEA migrant worker status/ Son of a migrant worker.

I potentially qualify for both status and need some clarification based on my circumstances.

I am 24 years olds. EU National.
I live with my mother and share all expenses, utilities, rent, council tax, etc.
I have been working for exactly 3 years now. (off-sick for the last 2 months, but still receiving some earnings from work)
My mother is also an EU National and she has been working for over 5 years now in the UK.
My income during my first year at work was almost minimum wage, but in the following years (2-3) it doubled.
I am currently applying for student finance for both, maintenance and tuition fees, but information that has been given to me is not clear enough.
I have recently read that: One is considered independent if one has earned enough income for 36 months.
So the question is, would I be considered independent or dependent?

If considered independent, the company for which I worked (office), has agreed to let me keep my job on a part-time basis, working 8-9 hours a week - minimum wage. (The main reason for so little hours is that I will be in classes almost 35 hours a week, not taking into consideration study hours.). Would that be enough to qualify for the maintenance loan as a migrant worker?

Many thanks,

David
Lynsey SFE
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by DavidMS19)
Hi,

I need some advice with regard to the EEA migrant worker status/ Son of a migrant worker.

I potentially qualify for both status and need some clarification based on my circumstances.

I am 24 years olds. EU National.
I live with my mother and share all expenses, utilities, rent, council tax, etc.
I have been working for exactly 3 years now. (off-sick for the last 2 months, but still receiving some earnings from work)
My mother is also an EU National and she has been working for over 5 years now in the UK.
My income during my first year at work was almost minimum wage, but in the following years (2-3) it doubled.
I am currently applying for student finance for both, maintenance and tuition fees, but information that has been given to me is not clear enough.
I have recently read that: One is considered independent if one has earned enough income for 36 months.
So the question is, would I be considered independent or dependent?

If considered independent, the company for which I worked (office), has agreed to let me keep my job on a part-time basis, working 8-9 hours a week - minimum wage. (The main reason for so little hours is that I will be in classes almost 35 hours a week, not taking into consideration study hours.). Would that be enough to qualify for the maintenance loan as a migrant worker?

Many thanks,

David

Hello David,

You may be eligible as an independent student based on self- support; however we would require evidence to support this.
You can find information on acceptable evidence, here 👉 http://ow.ly/q5mJ30oSfa5

Concerning Migrant Worker statue, the criteria around hours and pay is as follows:
• The work must be effective, genuine and not of a scale which would be considered marginal or ancillary

Thanks, Lynsey.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• University of Stirling
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 26 Sep '19
  • Heriot-Watt University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Scottish Borders Campus Undergraduate
    Fri, 27 Sep '19
  • Royal Holloway, University of London
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Sat, 28 Sep '19

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (19)
7.88%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (135)
56.02%
No (87)
36.1%

Watched Threads