ainhoashqiptare
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Good afternoon,

I am writing here in order to look for a piece of advice about PhD as I am Spanish and I do not know very well how does academic things work here in the UK.

First of all, telling that I have a BA in Translation and Interpreting by the University of Granada, Spain and a MA in Albanian Language and Literature by the South East European University, Tetovo, North Macedonia.

For working reasons I am currently living in London and I would be interested in enrolling in PhD studies researching about Albanian language. I think there is no a PhD completely related to this but maybe you could know something that could be related.

I cannot afford the prices of a PhD here so I would be interested in knowing about scholarships, stipends, grants or PhD contracts to teach at some university.

My goal is starting in this academic course so if you could help me, I will be very grateful to you.

Thanks!
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ainhoashqiptare)
You can look for a PhD where the subject is already set, but this is more often a feature of STEM PhDs, it is uncommon in the Arts, Humanities, Languages etc.

Basically, you need to write your research proposal and then look at Universities where there is a Supervisor with interests that suggest they might be interested in Supervising you. You open an email conversation with tem, usually by sending your research proposal and asking them for advice. If they are interested they will suggest you make an application, but of course you can make an application anyway.

Scholarships are relatively rare from Unis themselves for EU and overseas students, your best chance is in your home country, or in your case perhaps from Albania. The rules on working mean that you can't really earn enough while in the UK to fully fund the degree. You will need to find the course costs and a substantial part of the living costs in advance.

Looking in London only might be very limiting, or impossible - I'm not sure where the centre of Albanian excellence is in UK universities!

Funding a PhD is much harder than getting an offer :/
Helloworld_95
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Well that's incredibly specific. From what I can tell, your first port of call should be the UCL School of Slavonic and Eastern European Studies, and particularly their Nash Fellows. It seems most people involved in research on Albania are more towards the anthropological side rather than language, but it is pretty common for graduates of languages to do their PhD on an anthropological or sociological topic.

You'll need to either get an AHRC/ESRC funded project or a scholarship, I don't know how viable it would be for the AHRC/ESRC to fund a topic for you but it's worth a try.

I would also advise that you should open up your location limitations, probably not just from London to the UK but possibly even to Europe or the world given how specific it is.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate