Stressing about applying to University

Watch this thread
JKT071
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
First of all not so sure I'm posting this in the correct place but as the title states I'm currently stressing about my application for uni next year.

I was working on my UCAS application earlier on today and decided to have a look at some more uni's that were offering art and design after having a look at the entry requirements and looking at the highers they all say achieved by sixth year but I only sat 2 highers in sixth year, was gonna be 3 but due to unfortunate events involving death in the family and going through appendicitis at the end of the year I ended up falling behind in English and with prelims coming up I decided after getting my prelim result (which was an F) I decided to drop it and focus on my other subjects. I am currently sitting NC art and design at college and hopefully higher Photography or Psychology to make up for my lack of highers.

My main question was that if I got my last 2 highers would I still able to apply to uni even though the entry requirements say that they should be achieved by sixth year.
Phoenixfeather99
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
Mention the issue in your personal statement and ask your designated reference to mention it in your reference. You have extenuating circumstances and that will be taken into account. Good luck!
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by JKT071)
First of all not so sure I'm posting this in the correct place but as the title states I'm currently stressing about my application for uni next year.

I was working on my UCAS application earlier on today and decided to have a look at some more uni's that were offering art and design after having a look at the entry requirements and looking at the highers they all say achieved by sixth year but I only sat 2 highers in sixth year, was gonna be 3 but due to unfortunate events involving death in the family and going through appendicitis at the end of the year I ended up falling behind in English and with prelims coming up I decided after getting my prelim result (which was an F) I decided to drop it and focus on my other subjects. I am currently sitting NC art and design at college and hopefully higher Photography or Psychology to make up for my lack of highers.

My main question was that if I got my last 2 highers would I still able to apply to uni even though the entry requirements say that they should be achieved by sixth year.
call or email them and ask whether they'll be more lenient as you had extenuating circumstances that year
JKT071
Rep:
(Original post by Phoenixfeather99)
Mention the issue in your personal statement and ask your designated reference to mention it in your reference. You have extenuating circumstances and that will be taken into account. Good luck!
Probably should have mentioned that I only got 2 highers leaving high school, does that change anything?
JT_888
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 years ago

Hi there. Please read Claire's comments as she has some good advice, it's worth checking with the universities in question as to whether they'll be lenient given the context of your extenuating circumstances. With regards to the last question, if the universities in question require 3 highers and state explicitly that these should be achieved by the end of your sixth year then you should be fine with that. Good luck with your application and feel free to reply if you need any further help.
JKT071
Rep:
(Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics)
Hi there. Please read Claire's comments as she has some good advice, it's worth checking with the universities in question as to whether they'll be lenient given the context of your extenuating circumstances. With regards to the last question, if the universities in question require 3 highers and state explicitly that these should be achieved by the end of your sixth year then you should be fine with that. Good luck with your application and feel free to reply if you need any further help.
Thanks for the info but i'm still confused. the universities that I'm applying to say I need 4 highers by the end of sixth year but I finished sixth year a few months ago with 2 highers if I get my last 2 highers this year am I still able to apply without being rejected for not achieving all my highers in one year?
JT_888
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Thanks for the info but i'm still confused. the universities that I'm applying to say I need 4 highers by the end of sixth year but I finished sixth year a few months ago with 2 highers if I get my last 2 highers this year am I still able to apply without being rejected for not achieving all my highers in one year?
I though you needed 3 highers and not 4 highers so apologies for the confusion. Given that you're repeating your sixth year, I assume that the condition still stands - you need to have 4 highers by the end of the year. But please ask the universities in question to clarify that for you if you're unsure - it's worth checking anyways. So to summarise, if what I'm assuming is right, then you need to have successfully completed 2 more highers this year in order to meet the entry requirement conditions set out by the universities in question. Hope this is clearer and helpful for you.
JKT071
Rep:
I though you needed 3 highers and not 4 highers so apologies for the confusion. Given that you're repeating your sixth year, I assume that the condition still stands - you need to have 4 highers by the end of the year. But please ask the universities in question to clarify that for you if you're unsure - it's worth checking anyways. So to summarise, if what I'm assuming is right, then you need to have successfully completed 2 more highers this year in order to meet the entry requirement conditions set out by the universities in question. Hope this is clearer and helpful for you.
I should have specified that I'm not repeating sixth year I'm doing a college course and either doing higher psychology as an evening course at the college alongside my art and design course or if I get permission from my high school I'll be going back to do higher photography. I double-checked uni's that I'm applying to and saw that on Dundee's requirements it says a literary subject is required, do you happen to know what type of subjects those are?
JT_888
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I should have specified that I'm not repeating sixth year I'm doing a college course and either doing higher psychology as an evening course at the college alongside my art and design course or if I get permission from my high school I'll be going back to do higher photography. I double-checked uni's that I'm applying to and saw that on Dundee's requirements it says a literary subject is required, do you happen to know what type of subjects those are?
Hi there. I'm not sure what Dundee means by a literary subject, it would be worth calling their admissions team to check.
JKT071
Rep:
Hi there. I'm not sure what Dundee means by a literary subject, it would be worth calling their admissions team to check.
Ok thanks, so I should follow the advice you gave me even though I'm not resitting sixth year and call/email the universities I'm applying to and see if I can apply with 4 highers as a college student and find out what they mean by literary subjects.
JT_888
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Ok thanks, so I should follow the advice you gave me even though I'm not resitting sixth year and call/email the universities I'm applying to and see if I can apply with 4 highers as a college student and find out what they mean by literary subjects.
Yeah plus do call up the universities in question regarding whether you can apply with 4 highers as a college student + explain about your extenuating circumstance and see what they say. Also get Dundee to clarify about what they mean by literary subjects. Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (70)
19.34%
The paper was reasonable (134)
37.02%
Not feeling great about that exam... (106)
29.28%
It was TERRIBLE (52)
14.36%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise