The Student Room Group

Stationery recommendations for university?

I don't know what to buy for university. I want to look like I half know what I'm doing. Can anyone help please? I don't want to carry around hard ring binders, I was thinking of flexible spine ones. I don't want to be carrying too much around though, not if I don't have to. I have the basics, pens, highlighters, a diary. Help.
Original post by Anonymous
I don't know what to buy for university. I want to look like I half know what I'm doing. Can anyone help please? I don't want to carry around hard ring binders, I was thinking of flexible spine ones. I don't want to be carrying too much around though, not if I don't have to. I have the basics, pens, highlighters, a diary. Help.

University isn't like school. You aren't going to be handed reems and reems of paper and exercise books and need a dedicated folder for each one. Mostly you'll just get a handout of the powerpoint slides from the lecture, or over several lectures. Obviously it depends on your subject. Start of with one large ringbinder to keep at your home, and some dividers to put in it to separate your subjects. Buy more if you feel like you need more space. Go buy a ring bound pad of lined paper with margins if you are desparate to take notes. If you get handouts in the lectures, take them home and file them, or keep a plastic wallet or two in your bag.

From what I remember, I usually got a handout and doodled some notes on the side of the slide if an important point came up. It's more important to listen and understand whats being said. University is VERY different from school. I got a 1st fromm a decent enough university so I can attest that it works. A few pens and a spare pad of paper are all you need. Maybe a calculator? Depends on the subject. I recall one lecturer in particular that handed out about 200 pages of powerpoint slides on day one, and that was all we got for the entire semester.
Reply 2
I'm an organised person and I would need to make sure everything has its place. I couldn't imagine just turning up to uni with just a notepad and a pen. Surely there's going to be a time when you need to carry your previous work notes with you, such as to labs etc.
Go digital and keep everything written on laptop/ipad etc. personal preference using tech, but honestly it makes organisation so much easier
Original post by unblessedcoffee
University isn't like school. You aren't going to be handed reems and reems of paper and exercise books and need a dedicated folder for each one. Mostly you'll just get a handout of the powerpoint slides from the lecture, or over several lectures. Obviously it depends on your subject. Start of with one large ringbinder to keep at your home, and some dividers to put in it to separate your subjects. Buy more if you feel like you need more space. Go buy a ring bound pad of lined paper with margins if you are desparate to take notes. If you get handouts in the lectures, take them home and file them, or keep a plastic wallet or two in your bag.

From what I remember, I usually got a handout and doodled some notes on the side of the slide if an important point came up. It's more important to listen and understand whats being said. University is VERY different from school. I got a 1st fromm a decent enough university so I can attest that it works. A few pens and a spare pad of paper are all you need. Maybe a calculator? Depends on the subject. I recall one lecturer in particular that handed out about 200 pages of powerpoint slides on day one, and that was all we got for the entire semester.

It doesn’t sound like you went to a great uni then. Surely you didn’t just ‘turn up’ and what’s the point of going to a lecture if you don’t make notes and actually THINK about what’s being discussed?...
Reply 5
I think taking notes is important for remembering .I don't want to be stuck at revision time with nothing I do find it difficult to believe that you barely took notes, were just handed 200 pages of PowerPoint, and managed to come out with a 1st.
Original post by Stefanidi
It doesn’t sound like you went to a great uni then. Surely you didn’t just ‘turn up’ and what’s the point of going to a lecture if you don’t make notes and actually THINK about what’s being discussed?...

It's clear you either didn't read or didn't understand my post. I'm happy with my 1st from Newcastle University in Computer Science, thank you very much.
Original post by unblessedcoffee
It's clear you either didn't read or didn't understand my post. I'm happy with my 1st from Newcastle University in Computer Science, thank you very much.

My point.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending