Would Oxford university accept me? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I would like to study a masters degree at Oxford, I have the grades but the thing is I’ve resat my A-Levels 4 times. I spent 3 years at a sixth form and failed miserably due to personal reasons. I went to on to study a foundation degree and which I got a 1st class degree in the end. After I graduated, I decided this time I wanted to resit my A-levels, I studied 4 subjects in a year as a private student and this time I got 3 A* and one A. I’m worried I will be rejected because I had too many chances and all their students have done well on the first chance. Am I being unrealistic?
TheOnlyIzzy
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Oxbridge as far as I'm aware don't accept retakes, they only accept the original grade. I may be wrong here but you might want to do some research.

With the grades you have it seems you would have a good chance at getting in, but due to the retakes you might have a few issues.

(Well done on doing so well by the way! a 1st class degree and A*A*A*A is amazing and I hope you do get in!)
Anonymous #1
(Original post by IzzyGC)
Oxbridge as far as I'm aware don't accept retakes, they only accept the original grade. I may be wrong here but you might want to do some research.

With the grades you have it seems you would have a good chance at getting in, but due to the retakes you might have a few issues.

(Well done on doing so well by the way! a 1st class degree and A*A*A*A is amazing and I hope you do get in!)
That’s what I was thinking, I guess they’re looking for who’s the best the first time. Maybe I could do something to boost my profile? Even if I don’t get into Oxford, I’ll be proud of my achievements for life. Thanks for the advice
The RAR
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
For a Masters, your A levels don't matter unless it specifically says in the requirements about it. What is the Masters for btw?
Last edited by The RAR; 1 week ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by The RAR)
For a Masters, your A levels don't matter unless it specifically says in the requirements about it. What is the Masters for btw?
It is for Environmental Science
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
As above, graduate programmes won't care about your performance in school; it's simply irrelevant by the point you're applying to a masters degree. They will be far more interested with your performance in your undergraduate degree.

However, you've indicated you did a foundation degree - do you mean, a degree with a foundation year, or a 2 year foundation degree (equivalent to an HND)? It's important to be precise about your meaning because they are very different qualifications.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by artful_lounger)
As above, graduate programmes won't care about your performance in school; it's simply irrelevant by the point you're applying to a masters degree. They will be far more interested with your performance in your undergraduate degree.

However, you've indicated you did a foundation degree - do you mean, a degree with a foundation year, or a 2 year foundation degree (equivalent to an HND)? It's important to be precise about your meaning because they are very different qualifications.
But Oxford isn’t just ANY uni, it’s one of the most prestigious universities in the world. I had to make sure if I meet their standards before applying. I meant a degree with a foundation year
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
But Oxford isn’t just ANY uni, it’s one of the most prestigious universities in the world
Which is why they realise that what you spent your school years doing or not doing has no bearing on your ability to do graduate level research and learn material at that level for examination (if applicable). Your undergraduate work is much closer to the kind of work you would do in a graduate degree and by any metric a better indicator of your ability to cope with research and study at that level.
Anonymous #1
Which is why they realise that what you spent your school years doing or not doing has no bearing on your ability to do graduate level research and learn material at that level for examination (if applicable). Your undergraduate work is much closer to the kind of work you would do in a graduate degree and by any metric a better indicator of your ability to cope with research and study at that level.
That’s true but still though, this is Oxford we are talking about. I’m sure they must have a long list of requirements for their candidates. It’s also said that their degrees are very intellectually challenging compared to most universities, I’d think they would use your education history as a marker of your intelligence and work ethic.
rjckk
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Wow. Do you mind to tell if you are boy or girl?
(By the way, why do you post here)
threeportdrift
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
That’s true but still though, this is Oxford we are talking about. I’m sure they must have a long list of requirements for their candidates. It’s also said that their degrees are very intellectually challenging compared to most universities, I’d think they would use your education history as a marker of your intelligence and work ethic.
Do you want to take the advice of people who have been there, seen it and done it, or are you going to stay fixed with your original opinion, despite asking a question?

It's very unusual for a PG degree application to ask anything about school qualifications. I've never applied to Oxford, but I've been through the Cambridge process several times and they don't ask (but BDE btw).

You will almost certainly need to get a first in your undergrad degree though.
2500_2
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
do you mean this one?

pretty clear that they don't look at anything other than your degree transcript and result and your experience/interest (as far as I can see from the application process they don't even want you to tell them anything pre-uni, you'd have to actively go out of your way to mention Alevels)
There's no limit to the number of pg applications you can do, what have you to lose by applying? (have you seen the course fees amount though?)
Last edited by 2500_2; 1 week ago
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Believe what you would; it's false, and if you just want someone to validate your lack of self-confidence and confirm you would never be accepted by Oxford, then know that being unable or unwilling to change your perspective on the basis of new information being provided is going to be a barrier to getting into and/or doing well at Oxford more than anything else. So your self-fulfilling prophecy is complete.
cfhurley
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
This is correct
arch_student
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I got terrible A Levels (I barely passed was going through some awful mental health issues) but I ended up with a 1st Class degree and got accepted to my MSt in Archaeology and into Jesus College! So your A Levels do not matter at all! Go for it!
Last edited by arch_student; 4 days ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University