haramyasmin
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I’m currently in Year 11 and we’ve been told is absolutely ZERO information regarding sixth form, apprenticeships, colleges, etc. I’m thinking to apply for sixth form (but not in the area I live in right now, near my high school, because I’m thinking of moving house to live with my dad) but if somebody could just explain the whole process of applying for sixth form, or what happens if you need to re-sit any GCSEs, etc that would be fab

thank you so much in advance xo
amnahaa
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You start applying for sixth form around November/December time and you usually pick around 3/4 subjects (some sixth forms offer BTEC subjects which count for 2 A levels). Right now, you should be looking at your local area and finding out when the open days are for each sixth form. If you do fail maths or English, you usually retake it in year 12 (your sixth form should give you an extra lesson each week for the resit)
PetitePanda
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
You research some of the sixth form and colleges in the area you hope to live in and there should be some application form online. If not they probably would say you can get a form at their place. However, you should look at the open days they have available so you should make a date of them before you apply to see their facilities and if they offer the subjects you want. Or you can email them asking if you can look around and their subjects should available on their website.

If you wanna go to that sixth form/college, you should apply to it and hopefully you get an offer or get accepted. Then on results day you can register a day after on registration day unless it’s on a different day so check. Also go to induction days if they offer it it’ll give you a tiny insight on the future if you attend there.

If you want an apprenticeship, there’s some options on your local council but idk how you can apply.

If you want re sit your GCSEs, some colleges and sixth form allows you to study your gcse while a levels to so ask them if they do that or you can do independently as an individual student but you have to revise by yourself then you find a centre which lets you do it then you can resit it.
haramyasmin
Rep:
?
thank you , also is there a dead line for applications ? or can you apply at any time from november/december to gcse results day ? x
haramyasmin
Rep:
?
amnahaa ^^
amnahaa
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by haramyasmin)
thank you , also is there a dead line for applications ? or can you apply at any time from november/december to gcse results day ? x
There's a deadline but it depends on each sixth form, I would definitely recommend applying to as many sixth forms as possible so you have loads of options
haramyasmin
Rep:
?
(Original post by amnahaa)
There's a deadline but it depends on each sixth form, I would definitely recommend applying to as many sixth forms as possible so you have loads of options
okay brill , thank you so much xx
FloLemon
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Sixth form usually will have applications for you fill out by December or January etc. These are for offers but many schools are flexible with their dates. If you’re looking at not Sixth Forms, more comprehensive ones require atleast five 5s across Maths and a English. And grammars tend to look for candidates who score atleast five 7-9 grades. Choosing your actual A-Levels don’t happen until Enrollment day on results day, yet you will have to give your possible options a few months earlier, but nothing is certain till then. Some schools may accept you if you get a 4 in maths or English but not always if you completely fail. However they might at points. Hope this helps and good luck!
sabrina_a04
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
same i have that same exact problem
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (109)
17.87%
It's just nice to be back! (166)
27.21%
Not great so far... (218)
35.74%
I want to drop out! (117)
19.18%

Watched Threads