Do I have an STI or UTI? Watch

VX07
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi everyone!

I am just after a bit of information on a potential STI I may have picked up. I'm a 21 year old male
About 2 years ago I had sex with a woman, a few weeks after I started to notice more urgency to go to the toilet and a cloudy substance from the penis. It was very uncomfortable. I took an STI test as soon as I noticed this but it came back negative. I then wen't to my local doctor and they gave me a prescription for Nitrofurantoin antibiotics, which is usually used to treat a utinary tract infection. The antibiotics cleared my problem up in no time and I was back to normal for a while. About 8 months later I noticed the symptoms slowly coming back, I returned to the doctor and they gave me another box of antibiotics. Again, this cleared it up.
More recently (3 months ago) the symptoms returned again, I decided to take another STI test, again came back negative. The doctor won't keep giving me antibiotics cus they think there's something else causing the problem. They gave me a box for the last time and again, cleared it up.
I'm now noticing symptoms slowly coming back for the 4th time and I'm not sure what the problem is. Parts of me think it's STI related as it only started after sexual contact with this specific woman. I don't have a lot of sexual activity so I'm confused on why it keeps coming back. Drinking Cranberry juice helps sometimes but it's not a long term solution. I'm hoping someone has some advice to give me as I really don't want to take a blood test because it scares me so much!

Thanks
JTfoxlove
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
If you've had multiple STI tests and they've all come back negative then it's highly unlikely to be an STI.

Go to the doctors and let them do whatever they need to do.

Blood test are a non-event. It takes less than 60s and doesn't hurt but feels like a scratch for a moment. Don't watch when its happening and tell whomever is taking it that you're squeamish.
Apachecow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Can you explain what you mean when you say "I decided to take another STI test"?

Are these home testing kits or self testing done over through the post? If the answer is yes then I'd encourage you to go to the GP or sexual health clinic for a proper sexual health screen. The testing may be a little more invasive, but will be at the lab sooner and may be better quality testing, with a wider number of STDs looked for. That will almost certainly include bloods.

As you say - you need to get to the bottom of this. The cloudy substance from the penis likely warrants some investigation in itself.
VX07
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Thanks for your response. The first test I did was at an STI clinic and the 2nd one was a home test. I'm not too worried about the cloudy substance as I haven't seen that in a while, it's mainly the urge to urinate and burning feeling when urinating.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (38)
7.45%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (298)
58.43%
No (174)
34.12%

Watched Threads