The Student Room Group

best way to revise for LNAT??

Hi all,

I’m sitting my LNAT next week and I’m bricking it. If people have done theirs in the past or have done it for 2020 entry already, can you please give me some advice on how to prepare? I’ve done the two practice papers from the website, but I’m worried since they were released in 2010 the style of the papers may have changed since- is there any truth to that? Also, how should I prepare for essays? I don’t really know how, but I realise I really need to focus on it since I’m aiming high with uni. Any help would be super super appreciated :smile:
How did you do in the first two? I was gonna say to get Arbitio but it’s a bit late. They have a free paper though but they’re a lot harder.

The style of the two sample ones on the website is the style of the real thing. Have you done anything for the essays?
Reply 2
I got 29 on the first sample, and 30 on the second. I did a sample from the older style multiple choice of which I found a lot harder- I got 15/30. I’ve done one practice essay and lots of reading into best ways to structure essays but when I actually try sit down and do one I just get so stressed even though I do all essay subjects :/. It makes me feel better knowing that the samples are similar to the real thing though.
Original post by lizzy_m
I got 29 on the first sample, and 30 on the second. I did a sample from the older style multiple choice of which I found a lot harder- I got 15/30. I’ve done one practice essay and lots of reading into best ways to structure essays but when I actually try sit down and do one I just get so stressed even though I do all essay subjects :/. It makes me feel better knowing that the samples are similar to the real thing though.

Fair enough. If you got those high scores you should be fine imo. I’d only say to really practice MCQs if you’re under around 25.

I’d just practice exam condition essays in that case. Feel free to post them here.
Considering in 2010 (year from when the test is) the average was 17.7, your score is pretty good. Generally judging by the average scores since 2010, achieving 25+ should be a guaranteed win compared to the average, which has not been higher than 23/42. So as long as you arent scoring lower than that you should be fine. For essay writing, I asked 2 English teachers to look at an essay I wrote about a topic also from the official website. Maybe try that? Although timewise it might be a bit too late. Otherwise, read newspapers to stay updated with current affairs for the essay topic. I have my test on the 27th and am also applying to very tough unis haha let's hope it ends well. Good Luck!

(Also, incase by "high uni" you mean Oxford, the average in 2018 for accepted applicants was ~27, if I remember correctly, meaning I'm positive you'll be fine. At least regarding MCQs.)
MCQ:
Found the website's past papers much easier than the real thing. For context, I scored in the thirties on the website's past papers, but got a 27 in the real thing. Don't think the style has changed per se, but I found the difficulty different.

Can't stress this enough: download Arbitio. Do as much past papers as you can. You are ultimately honing your skills and preparing yourself for the questions/tricks and this comes with practice. Even if the test is a week away, I still recommend it; it's that good.

For whatever source you use, I would have a notebook next to me, where write down each mistake I did and reflect on why I made said mistake. This can help you identify weak points and improve and find patterns in terms of where you're going wrong.

Another good source is Mark Shephard's book "Mastering the National Admission Tests For Law". I also found his essay tips and myriad sample essays really useful.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Legally Jasmine
MCQ:
Found the website's past papers much easier than the real thing. For context, I scored in the thirties on the website's past papers, but got a 27 in the real thing. Don't think the style has changed per se, but I found the difficulty different.

Can't stress this enough: download Arbitio. Do as much past papers as you can. You are ultimately honing your skills and preparing yourself for the questions/tricks and this comes with practice. Even if the test is a week away, I still recommend it; it's that good.

For whatever source you use, I would have a notebook next to me, where write down each mistake I did and reflect on why I made said mistake. This can help you identify weak points and improve and find patterns in terms of where you're going wrong.

Another good source are is Mark Shephard's book "Mastering the National Admission Tests For Law". I also found his essay tips and myriad sample essays really useful.

Congratulations on your excellent LNAT score! May I ask where you go to uni now? :smile:
Original post by Legally Jasmine
MCQ:

Another good source are is Mark Shephard's book "Mastering the National Admission Tests For Law". I also found his essay tips and myriad sample essays really useful.

OP cannot do any of this though really as their test is next week, it doesn’t seem worth getting Arbitio imo or any of the books just for a week
Original post by Aaryra
OP cannot do any of this though really as their test is next week, it doesn’t seem worth getting Arbitio imo or any of the books just for a week

It’s up to OP, I guess. I downloaded Arbitio around a week or so before my test, and I knew it was last minute, so I did as much papers as I physically can each day and found that I was improving (a week can surprisingly make a difference).

One week is OK imo (if OP manages their time) and I think that taking essay tips that can be learnt in a day from the books, and doing as much papers in a week can potentially make a difference

However, it is ultimately up to you, OP and if you think you want to make that investment and are ready to make your money’s worth. But as I said, from my experience with the website, if I were you I’d make that investment. If you only had to choose one of the sources I recommended, go with Arbitio.
(edited 4 years ago)
I was stressing out about a month ago because I thought I didn't have enough time. Then this person (of superior intellect) was like "I prepared for it 4 days before". :biggrin:
innit
(edited 4 years ago)
I was going to implore you to donate some of your brain cells to a bird (let us be specific: turkey) like me, then I realised I needed to ask someone who could give a few away and remain functioning. :smile:

Quick Reply