Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I know this is gonna be a sensitive one, but who else thinks people should just give them a break? Everywhere I go you've got people protesting it cuz they've seen those shock :eek: posters with the animals on, and not looked into it properly....Its not like theyre testing makeup on these animals, theyre using them to improve the quality of life and medicine to better our society...

Holla back

ReputationRep:
    im against animal testing, but im not going to do some protest. it achieves nothing

ReputationRep:
    If there was some other way of testing these things without harming a living thing, i'd be all for it, but for the moment theres no failsafe way so I can't bring myself to say 'im against it' because its necessary.

ReputationRep:
    Legally all new medicine must be tested on animals. Either we stop developing medicine, or some animals suffer. Make your choice now.

ReputationRep:
    I know this is gonna be a sensitive one, but who else thinks people should just give them a break?
    *Raises hand* definitely. There were tons of protests here when Cambridge Uni tryed to make a monkey lab, and ones against HLS, ugh there are so many bigger issues in the animal world, like the transport of live animals before they are slaughtered, battery hens and so on.. yet these people choose to campaign about relatively few animals being tested so we can develop more medicines. Only 5% of all medical research is carried out on animals. I know its an issue.. but not such a huge one.
    And then there's the crazies that reckon harming human beings to save the lives of animals is fine.

Oh yeah, if you've ever taken any medicine, and you are against animals testing, you're a hypocrite. Same if you eat meat and wear leather shoes.

ReputationRep:
    It may seem silly - but I think, until we'd like a load of animal medecine tested on us - we shouldnt go testing ours on animals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Syntax)
    . Only 5% of all medical research is carried out on animals.

Oh yeah, if you've ever taken any medicine, and you are against animals testing, you're a hypocrite.
    Contradiction, no?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Savage Noodles)
    Contradiction, no?
    i dont think it is.

lots of medical research is done on humans for example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by t0mmie)
    I know this is gonna be a sensitive one, but who else thinks people should just give them a break? Everywhere I go you've got people protesting it cuz they've seen those shock :eek: posters with the animals on, and not looked into it properly....Its not like theyre testing makeup on these animals, theyre using them to improve the quality of life and medicine to better our society...

Holla back
    AAARRRHH!!!!!!! DONT GET ME STARTED!

ReputationRep:
    . Only 5% of all medical research is carried out on animals.

Oh yeah, if you've ever taken any medicine, and you are against animals testing, you're a hypocrite.
    Not really.. medicines are still tested on animals before humans take them. Its just that a lot less of it is done than animal rights protesters would have us believe.

ReputationRep:
    The people who protest and casue injury to the doctors and people working in these centres are animals themselves, so full of self righteous indignation that they forget that the cause they are fighting against isn't some whim of the scientists, its to make people better. They make me so mad, that they think they have some right to stop the development of science just because they like animals - they should channel their efforts into finding alternatives (not that I'm saying they don't, but the majority are just idiots to be quite frank)

ReputationRep:
    how can you decide what medicine is right for humans by testing them on animals? we are different!

i once went to a rally about this and it made me think, if so many people are protesting against it, why is it that its still happening? something needs to be done!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~*glitter*~)
    how can you decide what medicine is right for humans by testing them on animals? we are different!
    you test it on animals, and then if its ok after LOADS of checks, they do clinical trials on humans. Yes, mistakes have been made (e.g. thalydomide) but animals are the most economically sound way of testing new products.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rednirt)
    you test it on animals, and then if its ok after LOADS of checks, they do clinical trials on humans. Yes, mistakes have been made (e.g. thalydomide) but animals are the most economically sound way of testing new products.
    well why dont they cut out the middle man and just do it staight onto humans? thats sounds more economically sound to me... to me its selfish, to think that humans are far more worthy of saving, but animals ruled the world a long time before we did

ReputationRep:
    well why dont they cut out the middle man and just do it staight onto humans? thats sounds more economically sound to me... to me its selfish, to think that humans are far more worthy of saving, but animals ruled the world a long time before we did
    because they'd have the EU on their backs about human rights and all that other stuff. I know what you mean, it seems unfair that we're taking it out on them, but who would volunteer for trials where they could go possibly have horrid side effects?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rednirt)
    because they'd have the EU on their backs about human rights and all that other stuff. I know what you mean, it seems unfair that we're taking it out on them, but who would volunteer for trials where they could go possibly have horrid side effects?
    suicidal maniacs?

ReputationRep:
    suicidal maniacs?
    Deeply unethical to test on people who arent in the rigt state of mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frost105)
    Deeply unethical to test on people who arent in the rigt state of mind.
    i ment as volunteers, it doesnt matter forget it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by t0mmie)

Holla back
    It's also a well known fact that the photos these protesters use do not come from Huntingdon Life Sciences! If you have a look over aminal rights websites then you will see the exactly the same photos claiming to be from 1001 different companies and testing for 1001 different things.

I was offered a job back in 1999 with HLS out in Eye (to develop animal-free drug testing systems, based on some work I did for, as was then, GlaxoWellcome). I got to look around 'the farm' and was actually really impressed at the standards and systems of care there.

People are entitled to their own view point, but it annoys me when people jump on a band wagon without knowing the whole truth and using faked propaganda.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by technik)
    i dont think it is.

lots of medical research is done on humans for example.
    But only once the pre-clinical safety sciences battery of tests has been conducted on model organisims - it's the law!

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.