The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Also what about the total mentalists that dug up the remains of that old lady whose family ran a guinea pig farm that serviced animal testing facilities.

Is that normal rational behaviour?
Reply 21
Fluffy
It's also a well known fact that the photos these protesters use do not come from Huntingdon Life Sciences! If you have a look over aminal rights websites then you will see the exactly the same photos claiming to be from 1001 different companies and testing for 1001 different things.

I was offered a job back in 1999 with HLS out in Eye (to develop animal-free drug testing systems, based on some work I did for, as was then, GlaxoWellcome). I got to look around 'the farm' and was actually really impressed at the standards and systems of care there.

People are entitled to their own view point, but it annoys me when people jump on a band wagon without knowing the whole truth and using faked propaganda.
now GlaxoSmithKline? the same people who make aquafresh toothpaste and ribeana juice. not exactly life savers are they :rolleyes:
Reply 22
Fluffy
Also what about the total mentalists that dug up the remains of that old lady whose family ran a guinea pig farm that serviced animal testing facilities.

Is that normal rational behaviour?
no, but its the lengths they are prepared to go to to put their point across about a situation they feel so strongly about
Reply 23
~*glitter*~
now GlaxoSmithKline? the same people who make aquafresh toothpaste and ribeana juice. not exactly life savers are they :rolleyes:

:rolleyes: not to mention having the major market share in medicinal pharmaceuticals :rolleyes:
Reply 24
Fluffy
:rolleyes: not to mention having the major market share in medicinal pharmaceuticals :rolleyes:
:rolleyes: how strange...
Reply 25
~*glitter*~
no, but its the lengths they are prepared to go to to put their point across about a situation they feel so strongly about

Two wrongs do not make a right - and thankfully graverobbing comes with a life sentance.
Reply 26
Fluffy
Two wrongs do not make a right - and thankfully graverobbing comes with a life sentance.
well is that not a wrong in its self? when some one is protesting to protect the rights of animals is punished for being so passionate about what they believe in? that seems unfair to me
Reply 27
Even Janet Tomlinson? One of the most 'evil' animal rights protesters known to the authorities. Has allegedly been involved in letter bombing campaigns, events that have lead to the maiming of people etc.

Turns out she has cancer and is now happily using products tested on animals.

Hypocritic or what?
Reply 28
~*glitter*~
well is that not a wrong in its self? when some one is protesting to protect the rights of animals is punished for being so passionate about what they believe in? that seems unfair to me

What?! No one's punishing them for being passionate, they'd be punished for being evil bastards and digging up an old ladies remains (which, incidentally, I think they still haven't found)
~*glitter*~

Nope, I think it's absolutely fair to lock them up. Is it right to stick bombs under people's cars because they are working to discover new medicines? Is it right to physically attack the director, who has worked since he came in to improve the standards of care at HLS? - all this crap came about after one documentary that showed poor standards of care there; these people are seemingly too thick to realise that this has changed. Is it right to threaten a university full of students with being blown up because you disagree with the university's planning application? How would you feel if YOUR grandmother were dug up?

Is it not hugely hypocritical to lead this violent group of protesters in doing all thiese things, because of the 'strength of your beliefs' and then after discovering you have cancer to willingly use drugs that have been tested on animals to cure it?

edit: fluffy beat me on the cancer woman, damn :biggrin:
Reply 30
Fluffy
Even Janet Tomlinson? One of the most 'evil' animal rights protesters known to the authorities. Has allegedly been involved in letter bombing campaigns, events that have lead to the maiming of people etc.

Turns out she has cancer and is now happily using products tested on animals.

Hypocritic or what?
well that is wrong yes, but in some circumstances i dont think the death sentence would achieve anything. we dont test products souly on humans because of human rights and all that but surely if you are being put to death because of protesting, your rights are being violated becase your opinion is not being heard.... just my theory
~*glitter*~
well that is wrong yes, but in some circumstances i dont think the death sentence would achieve anything. we dont test products souly on humans because of human rights and all that but surely if you are being put to death because of protesting, your rights are being violated becase your opinion is not being heard.... just my theory

Who mentioned the death sentence?!
Reply 32
MadNatSci
Who mentioned the death sentence?!
fluffy a minute ago
~*glitter*~
fluffy a minute ago

Nah, she said life sentence. I don't think any of use would really want to kill these people, though I'm sure they'd quite like to kill us...
Reply 34
~*glitter*~
fluffy a minute ago

Er no I didn't

I said life sentence.
Reply 35
Fluffy
Er no I didn't

I said life sentence.
oh sorry, my apologies.

im just alittle tired and confused at the moment

sorry fluffy
Reply 36
MadNatSci
edit: fluffy beat me on the cancer woman, damn :biggrin:

No one's mentioned Mary Beth Sweetland yet though - a diabetic who uses insulin gathered from animal sources. She's not a hypocrite of course though -she concedes that her medicine "still contains some animal products -- and I have no qualms about it ... I don't see myself as a hypocrite. I need my life to fight for the rights of animals". Of course - she's doing it for the animals, not herself :rolleyes:

Also just came across this quote: "Even if animal research resulted in a cure for AIDS, we'd be against it."- Ingrid Newkirk Co-Founder of PETA
Reply 37
Bezza

Also just came across this quote: "Even if animal research resulted in a cure for AIDS, we'd be against it."- Ingrid Newkirk Co-Founder of PETA

And I'm guessing that it Ingrid Newark found herself HIV positive she would be happy for her health to go down hill rapidly, living in the most excruciating pain (not :wink: )
Reply 38

There's quite a big difference between protesting against something you see as an injustice (going to rallies etc) and digging up someones remains. Can't believe this even needs to be pointed out...
I am against the death penalty.. (why is it being discussed though? We don't have the death penalty), but people like that should be punished.
Reply 39
Just like all the other animal rights protesters(!)

Latest