Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bezza)

Also just came across this quote: "Even if animal research resulted in a cure for AIDS, we'd be against it."- Ingrid Newkirk Co-Founder of PETA
    yeah right, my fat ass!! until one of them gets it that is :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~*glitter*~)
    yeah right, my fat ass!! until one of them gets it that is :rolleyes:
    Just my point - these people claim to be moral saints (debatable anyway what with all the violence and intimidation they/others believing in the same cause are involved in) but when it comes down to it, a lot of them just seem to be hypocrites.

ReputationRep:
    This isn't really to do with animal testing, but it's a rather stupid billboard from peta
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bezza)
    This isn't really to do with animal testing, but it's a rather stupid billboard from peta
    That is a silly advert. Anyway soya milk is nasty

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bezza)
    funny but flippin stupid! jeez!! how is anyone supposed to take them seriously when they have stupid things like that

ReputationRep:
    Sadly most of the protestors are cranks, the reason why they protest against this kind of animal testing instead of about other, more pressing animal care issues (such as battery hens) is because it successfully combines an animal rights issue with their latent ludditism and disrespect for the government (just the same as GM). What I hear is from these people is the same old anti-science rhetoric that has been banging around since Charles Darwin and Michael Faraday.

ReputationRep:
    Ok im against the extreme protests...like those people who dug up a body, and people who harm doctors....BUT
    i am very much against animal testing its OUR medicene....why are we making animals test it...what gives us the right to do that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RealityIsDull)
    Ok im against the extreme protests...like those people who dug up a body, and people who harm doctors....BUT
    i am very much against animal testing its OUR medicene....why are we making animals test it...what gives us the right to do that?
    the government

ReputationRep:
    At the moment animal testing is the best option we have to check that medecine
    a) have some benefit
    b) aren't incrediably dangerous.

If we tested on humans straight away insurance would shoot through the roof and would make medication more expensive. Its important though that the scientific community works to finding an alternative testing method though.

ReputationRep:
    It's probably important to point out that animals do benefit as well: animal medicines are developed from animal testing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadNatSci)
    It's probably important to point out that animals do benefit as well: animal medicines are developed from animal testing.
    but why arnt they tested on humans?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~*glitter*~)
    but why arnt they tested on humans?
    Because it's just not practicable. These medicines need to be developed and they need to be tested. You are not going to get a stream of human volunteers to trial drugs that have never been in contact with organ systems before and you would probably get a public outcry over it if you tested on non-volunteers.

People are working really, really hard to move away from animal testing. You can already test drugs on tissue sections to check that the immediate area of action of the drug will respond well, and to a certain extent there are computer programs that can tell you how it will work; however there are limitations to all this - there are some things we simply cannot model on a computer - and the only way we can improve the computer programs is by... testing on animals.

ReputationRep:
    Nice to see such a response on this one, also good to see how many logical ideas and arguments put forward. Was starting to worry I was the only one on my side on this one before I asked on here..

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.