Jedimonkey
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So I have OCD. I've had it for the last 11 years. Laundry is a huge struggle for me. When I start the laundry, I like to see suds and plently of water so I know the clothes are getting clean. The problem arises when it rinses. I like to see that ALL the suds are gone. I've done some research and learnt how soap works. One end of the soap molecule is attracted to water (hydrophilic) and the other end to dirt, oil, etc (hydrophobic). This is what pulls the dirt off the clothes and makes it sit in the water. Of course in my mind is that if there's still soap there is still dirt. Now we have soft water in the house which makes soap lather even more. So to rinse out all the soap, it pretty much takes me all day. I feel really guilty cos I know it's a waste of time, resources, etc. But my damm OCD can't overcome this. Can anyone help?
Charlotte's Web
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Jedimonkey)
So I have OCD. I've had it for the last 11 years. Laundry is a huge struggle for me. When I start the laundry, I like to see suds and plently of water so I know the clothes are getting clean. The problem arises when it rinses. I like to see that ALL the suds are gone. I've done some research and learnt how soap works. One end of the soap molecule is attracted to water (hydrophilic) and the other end to dirt, oil, etc (hydrophobic). This is what pulls the dirt off the clothes and makes it sit in the water. Of course in my mind is that if there's still soap there is still dirt. Now we have soft water in the house which makes soap lather even more. So to rinse out all the soap, it pretty much takes me all day. I feel really guilty cos I know it's a waste of time, resources, etc. But my damm OCD can't overcome this. Can anyone help?
Are you under the care of any sort of professional for your OCD? It sounds like this is having quite an impact on your life - especially if you're spending all day on what should be a fairly quick task. It might be that you would benefit from some cognitive behavioural therapy to look at the reasons for your OCD and equip you with things you can do to make it more manageable.
Jedimonkey
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by Charlotte's Web)
Are you under the care of any sort of professional for your OCD? It sounds like this is having quite an impact on your life - especially if you're spending all day on what should be a fairly quick task. It might be that you would benefit from some cognitive behavioural therapy to look at the reasons for your OCD and equip you with things you can do to make it more manageable.
I'm not. I've had CBT before. It's helped certain aspects of my OCD but not all. to be fair, if I could fix this laundry problem and maybe my showers, I feel I would be finally living a some what normal life.
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I'm not. I've had CBT before. It's helped certain aspects of my OCD but not all. to be fair, if I could fix this laundry problem and maybe my showers, I feel I would be finally living a some what normal life.
Try using less powder or detergent - soft water does not need as much to work.
Jedimonkey
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
(Original post by Muttley79)
Try using less powder or detergent - soft water does not need as much to work.
hmmm. I tried that. However I feel the clothes don't come out clean then. I had a pair of socks in the wash which were filthy (bottoms were black since I had stepped outside with them on). However only 80% of the dirt came off.
Isaia
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
What do you mean fix your showers?
Muttley79
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
hmmm. I tried that. However I feel the clothes don't come out clean then. I had a pair of socks in the wash which were filthy (bottoms were black since I had stepped outside with them on). However only 80% of the dirt came off.
Use something like Vanish on these stains - too much powder can irritate your kine ans you don't rinse it all out.
Jedimonkey
Rep:
?
(Original post by Isaia)
What do you mean fix your showers?
Well I tend to take long showers because of my OCD. Normal showers on a good day last 20 - 22 mins. On an average day about 25 - 30 mins. On a weird/bad day around 40 mins.
Isaia
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Well I tend to take long showers because of my OCD. Normal showers on a good day last 20 - 22 mins. On an average day about 25 - 30 mins. On a weird/bad day around 40 mins.
Mine last around 15-20 minutes but I just take ages lol
Jedimonkey
Rep:
?
(Original post by Isaia)
Mine last around 15-20 minutes but I just take ages lol
Everyone says that's normal. But for me to achieve that everyday is very difficult
Sabertooth
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Hmm, I don't know if this will work but could you try cold water showers? Or would they not make you feel "clean"?

I spend about 6 minutes in the shower every morning - switching to cold made them less pleasant.

Also, does your washing machine not have an extra rinse option?
Last edited by Sabertooth; 3 days ago
Jedimonkey
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sabertooth)
Hmm, I don't know if this will work but could you try cold water showers? Or would they not make you feel "clean"?

I spend about 6 minutes in the shower every morning - switching to cold made them less pleasant.

Also, does your washing machine not have an extra rinse option?
I've not tried cold showers. I'll try give that a go.

The machine does have an option for extra rinses, ut even after those I put them on an actual rinse cycle.
Sabertooth
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
I've not tried cold showers. I'll try give that a go.

The machine does have an option for extra rinses, ut even after those I put them on an actual rinse cycle.
Do you have a tumble dryer? Mine has a sanitize option where it's super hot for like an hour and a half. That might help? Or even get a bucket and wash them in the bathtub - you'll use less water and you can really scrub and rinse your clothes.

Tbh though, buddy, I think getting help again for your OCD would be better than giving into it. :console:
Jedimonkey
Rep:
?
Do you have a tumble dryer? Mine has a sanitize option where it's super hot for like an hour and a half. That might help? Or even get a bucket and wash them in the bathtub - you'll use less water and you can really scrub and rinse your clothes.

Tbh though, buddy, I think getting help again for your OCD would be better than giving into it. :console:
hmmm. I'm just really scared to talk or ask anyone about it. I feel like I've asked so much that I'm just annoying people. It's like my family think i'm normal and happy but that's just a front. I'm constantly worried every single day and my mind is always active.
Sabertooth
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
hmmm. I'm just really scared to talk or ask anyone about it. I feel like I've asked so much that I'm just annoying people. It's like my family think i'm normal and happy but that's just a front. I'm constantly worried every single day and my mind is always active.
This is a pretty common mindset: "I don't want to be a burden. I'm annoying people, I'm scared" etc None of that is true. How did your family act when you got CBT the first time? Were they supportive? I would say to talk to them again. OCD is common although yours sounds pretty bad. Generally stuff like this doesn't just disappear an giving into it probably makes it worse in the long run. It'll probably also start to effect your schoolwork if you worry all day.

If you're 16+ you can go to the GP confidentially and he can help you. There's also (I forgot the name) where you can call up and book an appointment to see a psychologist for free so maybe look into that as a first step?

I hope you get over this. :hugs:
Jedimonkey
Rep:
?
This is a pretty common mindset: "I don't want to be a burden. I'm annoying people, I'm scared" etc None of that is true. How did your family act when you got CBT the first time? Were they supportive? I would say to talk to them again. OCD is common although yours sounds pretty bad. Generally stuff like this doesn't just disappear an giving into it probably makes it worse in the long run. It'll probably also start to effect your schoolwork if you worry all day.

If you're 16+ you can go to the GP confidentially and he can help you. There's also (I forgot the name) where you can call up and book an appointment to see a psychologist for free so maybe look into that as a first step?

I hope you get over this. :hugs:
My family were supportive of me getting therapy. However, before they realised I needed therapy, they were not supportive. They kept telling me to snap out of it and loads of other things which all add up amd make it worse.

I remember my therapist told me that if I ever needed therapy again, I could self refer myself.

Btw I really appriciate this. It's nice talking to someone like this
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (154)
24.37%
Pop (155)
24.53%
Jazz (26)
4.11%
Classical (37)
5.85%
Hip-Hop (111)
17.56%