Why is my car insurance so high? Watch

Smileygirl12
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I’m trying to sort car insurance for a VW Polo 2002 1.2l and many of the offers I’m getting are above 3/4,000 some reaching 8,500. The cheapest I have is 1,700 from Hastings which I really don’t want to use, I’ll probably have to wait until I can afford the deposit for More Than. I don’t understand what is causing such ridiculous quotes - I’m an 18 yo female, just passed, living in Manchester, about to start Uni. Despite looking at all the common affordable brands, no one is giving me a reasonable offer and it’s way higher than what other people around me are paying.
Random_Student
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Smileygirl12)
I’m trying to sort car insurance for a VW Polo 2002 1.2l and many of the offers I’m getting are above 3/4,000 some reaching 8,500. The cheapest I have is 1,700 from Hastings which I really don’t want to use, I’ll probably have to wait until I can afford the deposit for More Than. I don’t understand what is causing such ridiculous quotes - I’m an 18 yo female, just passed, living in Manchester, about to start Uni. Despite looking at all the common affordable brands, no one is giving me a reasonable offer and it’s way higher than what other people around me are paying.
It’s cause you’re 18, just passed and have very little experience and if you’ve said that you’re driving to uni and commuting on the quotes then they will be really high! To help with that, maybe ask one of your parents who has no points on their licence and loads of driving experience to be named as a second driver which might pull it down a bit. But unfortunately the first year is really high! Then second year, if you have no accidents, it gets reduced to about half of first year and sometimes more. 8,500 is so high tho! I remember when I did the second driver thing my total was around 1,700 and then now, second year, it’s around 700 I think.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Your age, lack of experience and possibly the area you ll be parking in and your relationship status can make a difference.
ChemicalEng
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
My first car insurance from Hastings aged 22 (4 years after holding a driving licence) was £1200 so your quote isn't unreasonable. Now at 23, it's been reduced to £700. You've got the option to wait until you're older for your premium to reduce. Or you pay whatever it costs the first year and it'll very likely reduce every year so long as you don't make any claims.

Forgot to mention I also drive a VW Polo registered in 2013 and 1.4L so not much difference there.
Last edited by ChemicalEng; 1 week ago
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You car is VERY old, thus much riskier.
Smileygirl12
Rep:
?
(Original post by Random_Student)
It’s cause you’re 18, just passed and have very little experience and if you’ve said that you’re driving to uni and commuting on the quotes then they will be really high! To help with that, maybe ask one of your parents who has no points on their licence and loads of driving experience to be named as a second driver which might pull it down a bit. But unfortunately the first year is really high! Then second year, if you have no accidents, it gets reduced to about half of first year and sometimes more. 8,500 is so high tho! I remember when I did the second driver thing my total was around 1,700 and then now, second year, it’s around 700 I think.
That’s with my mum who’s been driving 25+ years completely fine on it!
Smileygirl12
Rep:
?
(Original post by ChemicalEng)
My first car insurance from Hastings aged 22 (4 years after holding a driving licence) was £1200 so your quote isn't unreasonable. Now at 23, it's been reduced to £700. You've got the option to wait until you're older for your premium to reduce. Or you pay whatever it costs the first year and it'll very likely reduce every year so long as you don't make any claims.

Forgot to mention I also drive a VW Polo registered in 2013 and 1.4L so not much difference there.
How have you found Hastings? Did you have a black box policy?
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You are 18, not long passed your test, no experience or no claims bonus. The area you live will have an effect. Thats why its so high.
It doesnt matter what car you have, you could be driving a 0.9 litre can of s**t and it still would be high.
Once you have a years no claims under your belt, it will go down.

In the mean time, put both parents as named drivers to help bring it down a bit.
Emma:-)
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
How have you found Hastings? Did you have a black box policy?
For gods sake, whatever you do- dont get a black box.
Those things are the work of the devil.
rhawk
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I got my first car when I was 23, and I got my driver's license the same year, I was forced to have a black-box and I do not recommend it to anyone, stay the hell away from it. The reason I say "forced" is because every single company out there refused to insure me without one. It was with more than, decent company, never really had problems with them.

The problem was that if I went 1mph above the speed limit I'd get a bad score, if I was in traffic for more than 1hr I had a bad score. It was a *nightmare*.

Granted, I stuck to the rules and only had a few bad scores here and there.

The reason your insurance is so high is because like others have said. You're 18, the car is old, you don't have experience, you don't have NCDs.

Pick the cheapest insurance you can without a black box, drive safely and start racking them NCDs up. It gets cheaper.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by rhawk)
The problem was that if I went 1mph above the speed limit I'd get a bad score, if I was in traffic for more than 1hr I had a bad score. It was a *nightmare*.
Finding out i'd be penalised for sudden braking or emergency stops was what put me RIGHT off....they aren't interested in WHY you had to stop, just that you did, sod that.
J Zonda
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The biggest factors of your insurance are gonna be
1) Age
2) Post Code
3) The Car Itself

If you're under 25, and especially if you're under 21 you're gonna be put in a poo bracket with no cheap option. Most people like this will just insure the car under their parent's name and list themselves as an 'additional driver' (dodgy, yes but everyone does it). It doesn't make financial sense even though you get to build No claims bonus, because once you reach the age of 25 you can still get cheap quotes with 0 years NCB. In the long run that's much better than having 5 years NCB and 20 grand spent on premiums.

Also, where you live is annoyingly important because it all comes down to statistics, if you live in an area that has a lot of claims then it will jack up the prices, for example I float between Sheffield and London. Sheffield has loads of insurance claims, some people make a living out of getting into crashes so they ruin it for the rest of us, therefore Sheffield is actually more expensive than London to insure a car, even though London is a far more hazardous place to drive.

Then we get to the car itself, each car has an "insurance category" which you can normally determine by the engine, the cheapest cars to insure are 1 litre engine tiny hatchbacks like the Toyota Aygo and Smart car, as you get older and have a license for more than 2 years you can "unlock" higher insurance cat vehicles.... just wait til you turn 25 it'll be like a whole new world
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by J Zonda)
If you're under 25, and especially if you're under 21 you're gonna be put in a poo bracket with no cheap option. Most people like this will just insure the car under their parent's name and list themselves as an 'additional driver' (dodgy, yes but everyone does it). It doesn't make financial sense even though you get to build No claims bonus, because once you reach the age of 25 you can still get cheap quotes with 0 years NCB. In the long run that's much better than having 5 years NCB and 20 grand spent on premiums.
I don;t do it and no one I know does.

As far as i'm aware your insurance can be cancelled if they suspect you of fronting, no proof needed, and that's REALLY not the sort of thing you want coming up when you make a claim, they absolutely will start probing at that point.
J Zonda
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
I don;t do it and no one I know does.
Okay well I'm not a teenager anymore so I have no clue what the market is like.

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you and how much is your premium?

If you're under 21 and your premium is under 3 grand I'll be gobsmacked.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Okay well I'm not a teenager anymore so I have no clue what the market is like.

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you and how much is your premium?

If you're under 21 and your premium is under 3 grand I'll be gobsmacked.
Nah I'm not a teen either, i'm 30's, but just passed late 2017, first premium was £1200 - (Corsa) then £800 (Fiesta), then changed that to multicar at £1400 (Fiesta & Audi)

I'm not trying to say people DON'T front insurance, but out of all the dodgy folk i;ve met over the years, i;m not aware of any of them doing this, or even talking about it as an option.
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The biggest factors of your insurance are gonna be
1) Age
2) Post Code
3) The Car Itself
Very true. For a starter driver.

And then other factors kick in. The biggest one being your driving history. Any accidents or convictions and your premiums will shoot up. So much so, that the fine for speeding is just the tip of the iceberg for what you will have to pay for this mistake. The increased insurance costs over the next few years would be a lot more than the fine.

Occupation can make a difference of a few hundred pounds per year. With there being no apparent logic as to which occupations attract the lowest premiums.

And then there's whether you go for fully comprehensive or third party fire and theft. In some rare case fully comp is cheaper. Most of the time 3rd party is cheaper. If you're in a 2002 Polo, 3rd party is probably the way to go.
StriderHort
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Dunnig Kruger)
Occupation can make a difference of a few hundred pounds per year. With there being no apparent logic as to which occupations attract the lowest premiums.
Christ if i told my insurer i work as a gardener my premiums would likely double, an image flurry of heavy heavy machinery, work sites and £££ signs would zip across their eyes

Of course now that i've put a claim in they're moaning about it and trying to pick holes, not my fault they only let me list one occupation, and i'm a fulltime student, part time worker, so it's the student details they got
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by StriderHort)
Christ if i told my insurer i work as a gardener my premiums would likely double, an image flurry of heavy heavy machinery, work sites and £££ signs would zip across their eyes

Of course now that i've put a claim in they're moaning about it and trying to pick holes, not my fault they only let me list one occupation, and i'm a fulltime student, part time worker, so it's the student details they got
The crazy thing about car insurance premiums is that they are just as likely to go down as to go up if you are more of a gardener than a student.

That claim will, without doubt be bad news for your premiums for a few years to come... But the main thing is that you are still alive.
J Zonda
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Dunnig Kruger)
Very true. For a starter driver.

And then other factors kick in. The biggest one being your driving history. Any accidents or convictions and your premiums will shoot up. So much so, that the fine for speeding is just the tip of the iceberg for what you will have to pay for this mistake. The increased insurance costs over the next few years would be a lot more than the fine.

And then there's whether you go for fully comprehensive or third party fire and theft. In some rare case fully comp is cheaper. Most of the time 3rd party is cheaper. If you're in a 2002 Polo, 3rd party is probably the way to go.
Yep, all valid points I forgot to mention, the fully comp discount doesn't make sense to me, they charge less when they are liable to pay more, but hey who are we to complain?

Speeding will be a nail in the coffin, nuff said.

As for the occupation, apparently the best one is a vicar... according to Top Gear lol. But student is a bad one
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (10)
5.32%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (104)
55.32%
No (74)
39.36%

Watched Threads