Electrical Engineering books? Recommendations (for personal statement)

Watch
Any Beanz
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Can anyone recommend me some good super-curricular books I can read to study Electrical & Electronic Engineering at Uni. (For personal statement)
Something that isn't too complicated so that I can talk about it in the interview.
tHe237046
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Hi Op.

Anant Agarwalls book found here:

In your interview, I would talk about how Maxwells equations and the lumped matter discipline are the foundation for circuits and electronics, as well as just about every modern electronic device there is.

You can definitely read the first chapter of the book and get introduced to the lumped matter discipline, the mathematical simplification of discretising and reducing complex phenomena to simple algebraic equations.

Maxwells complicated equations are turned into algebraic ones, which enables a large simplification and understanding of electromagnetic phenomena (Ohms law).

You can also browse through the books chapter on digital circuits and the value lumping that is done there.

Basically agarwall tells you the philosophy behind why you do the things you do, on a simple level, and other books simply tell you how.

Boylestadts circuit analysis is also a good book to just browse through.
Charles alexander and matthew sadiku for circuits also.

You can mention Oppenheim for signals and systems though it may be a bit much right now.

Also check out these past papers for electronic engineering:
https://www.fogma.co.uk/exam_papers
The whole key behind agarwalls teaching is that as engineers, you are always modelling, and you decide the level of complexity and abstraction behind models, not only that but models are what are taught, at varying levels of depth and complexity.

And lastly try to play around with this basic simulator of circuits:
https://www.falstad.com/circuit/

(Original post by Any Beanz)
ssaq1.
In summary:

1. Circuits: Maxwells equations turned to algebraic through the lumped matter discipline.
2. Digital circuits: Lumping again, digital abstraction, talk about VHDL and propogation delay of these. Combinational and sequential logic difference.
3. Signals and control engineering: Linear time invariant systems, do you understand what these are? Can try and talk about them. Try and understand the fourier and lapalce transforms, and system stability.
4. Fast fourier transform, Discrete fourier transform.
5. Electronic devices: transistors, Operational amplifiers, Logic gates.

Languages and softwares used in electronic engineering:
C, Java, MATLAB (signals and control), LaTex (reports and documentation), PsPICE (circuit simulation), MODELSIM (digital circuits), and some others.

Take a look here to learn more:
https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/education/
Last edited by tHe237046; 10 months ago
Any Beanz
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
omg thank you so so so much!! im guessing you have done a degree in electrical engineering? If so, what university did you do it at? Thank you so much for all this advice it really motivates me to dig into it and im definitely going to do some research on this.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What are you most likely to do if you don't get the grades you were expecting?

Go through Clearing (144)
37.21%
Take autumn exams (121)
31.27%
Look for a job (13)
3.36%
Consider an apprenticeship (17)
4.39%
Take a year out (67)
17.31%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (25)
6.46%

Watched Threads