LGBTQ + here’s what it means!

Watch this thread
SCAREDYSTUDENT
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
L = lesbian
a homosexual woman.

G = gay
a homosexual man

B = bisexual
sexually attracted not exclusively to people of one particular gender; attracted to both men and women.

T = transgender + transexual
Transgender is denoting or relating to a person whose sense of personal identity and gender does not correspond with their birth sex.

Transexual is the old term for transgender and some people still identify with it as they believe being trans to be more of a medical condition rather than an identity for them personally.
Q = queer + questioning
people who are figuring out their sexual orientation or gender identity
Queer is an umbrella term for all of lgbtq+

P = pansexual
I am pansexual
not limited in sexual choice with regard to biological sex, gender, or gender identity.

A = asexual + ally
Asexual is without sexual feelings or associations. "asexual individuals may still experience attraction but this attraction doesn't need to be realized in any sexual manner"

An ally is a straight ally, or heterosexual ally is a heterosexual and/or cisgender person who supports equal civil rights, gender equality, and LGBT social movements, and challenges homophobia, biphobia, and transphobia.x

I = intersex
Intersex people are individuals born with any of several variations in sex characteristics including chromosomes, gonads, sex hormones, or genitals that, according to the UN Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights, "do not fit the typical definitions for male or female bodies".

T = two spirited
Native American term.
The dictionary refers to two spirited as:
“Two-spirit” refers to a person who identifies as having both a masculine and a feminine spirit, and is used by some Indigenous people to describe their sexual, gender and/or spiritual identity.

I think that’s all. If I missed one out can someone kindly give the definition in the comments! Also if you have any questions feel free to ask!
Last edited by SCAREDYSTUDENT; 2 years ago
Obolinda
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
:thumbsup:
Mo.Hamid
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Is ‘two spirited’ the same as ‘Androgynous’?
SCAREDYSTUDENT
Rep:
(Original post by Mo.Hamid)
Is ‘two spirited’ the same as ‘Androgynous’?
No.
Although they are very similar!
Androgynous is about appearance. It’s similar to cross dressing. It’s indeterminate sex. It’s a mixture of questioning and two spirited. And appearing to be one sex but acting the other. It’s very confusing
Alexty28
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Ok
username3895014
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Interesting
Siberiaan
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
lmk when the next patch comes out , so i can keep track
SCAREDYSTUDENT
Rep:
(Original post by TSR Mustafa)
lmk when the next patch comes out , so i can keep track
There is a discussion going on now about whether or not furries are apart of lgbtq
username3941996
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by SCAREDYSTUDENT)
There is a discussion going on now about whether or not furries are apart of lgbtq
From the majority of lgbt people I know, they respect furries to an extent but they wouldn’t want them as part of the community
Siberiaan
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
There is a discussion going on now about whether or not furries are apart of lgbt
oh dear , think ima unistall
SCAREDYSTUDENT
Rep:
(Original post by Professional G)
From the majority of lgbt people I know, they respect furries to an extent but they wouldn’t want them as part of the community
I respect furries but I don’t know whether it’s lgbt? Being lgbtq isn’t a choice it’s a feeling. But idk if furries are choosing or feeling
maciek69
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
L = lesbian
a homosexual woman.

G = gay
a homosexual man

B = bisexual
sexually attracted not exclusively to people of one particular gender; attracted to both men and women.

T = transgender + transexual
Transgender is denoting or relating to a person whose sense of personal identity and gender does not correspond with their birth sex.

Transexual is a person who is only attracted to transgender persons.
Q = queer or questioning
people who are figuring out their sexual orientation or gender identity

P = pansexual
I am pansexual
not limited in sexual choice with regard to biological sex, gender, or gender identity.

A = asexual + ally
Asexual is without sexual feelings or associations. "asexual individuals may still experience attraction but this attraction doesn't need to be realized in any sexual manner"

An ally is a straight ally, or heterosexual ally is a heterosexual and/or cisgender person who supports equal civil rights, gender equality, and LGBT social movements, and challenges homophobia, biphobia, and transphobia.x

I = intersex
Intersex people are individuals born with any of several variations in sex characteristics including chromosomes, gonads, sex hormones, or genitals that, according to the UN Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights, "do not fit the typical definitions for male or female bodies".

T = two spirited
“Two-spirit” refers to a person who identifies as having both a masculine and a feminine spirit, and is used by some Indigenous people to describe their sexual, gender and/or spiritual identity.

I think that’s all. If I missed one out can someone kindly give the definition in the comments! Also if you have any questions feel free to ask!
I couldn't care less
SCAREDYSTUDENT
Rep:
(Original post by maciek69)
I couldn't care less
The post is meant for people who do care or are curious.
username3941996
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by maciek69)
I couldn't care less
That’s fine but this wasn’t aimed at you.
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Transexual is a person who is only attracted to transgender persons.
Sorry but this is untrue. Transsexual is the old term for transgender and some people still identify with it as they believe being trans to be more of a medical condition rather than an identity for them personally.
Queer doesn't mean unsure that's questioning , queer is now used as an umbrella for the whole LGBT community
Two spirit is a native American idea and many people within the community would take issue with it being included as lots of people disagree it exists.
CoolCavy
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I respect furries but I don’t know whether it’s lgbt? Being lgbtq isn’t a choice it’s a feeling. But idk if furries are choosing or feeling
Furries are just people cosplaying as animals and dressing up. They don't actually believe they are the animal unlike people who are 'otherkin' that do.
The vast vast majority of the LGBT community do not want other kin included as many people find it a ridiculous concept that discredits the actual community and trans people in particular
SCAREDYSTUDENT
Rep:
(Original post by CoolCavy)
Sorry but this is untrue. Transsexual is the old term for transgender and some people still identify with it as they believe being trans to be more of a medical condition rather than an identity for them personally.
Queer doesn't mean unsure that's questioning , queer is now used as an umbrella for the whole LGBT community
Two spirit is a native American idea and many people within the community would take issue with it being included as lots of people disagree it exists.
I thank you a lot!
I knew I’d made that mistake But I wasn’t completely sure. I’ll go fix it
CoolCavy
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I thank you a lot!
I knew I’d made that mistake But I wasn’t completely sure. I’ll go fix it
I know you mean well but I would advise researching properly before making a thread like this. Lots of people are against LGBT and against the + part of it in particular. Including spurious ideas like furries and two spirit (which I have never seen included in the extended acronym) doesn't help our cause at all and neither does misinformation.
SCAREDYSTUDENT
Rep:
i am also a part or the LGBTQ+ and I get were you are coming from but I did correct it and I apologise. I am pansexual and I understand wha tits like being told I don’t belong in the lgbt community.
Greywolf.
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
Why so many terms?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (123)
38.44%
The paper was reasonable (153)
47.81%
Not feeling great about that exam... (30)
9.38%
It was TERRIBLE (14)
4.38%

Watched Threads