Which University to protect my mental health? Watch

Dexter321
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
As you are from London and have referred to family and boyfriend, I am not convinced Uni is the best option, esp if you're considering staying away from home for 2 month stints. However, I don't know the full circumstances. I would have thought a campus style Uni would be better for many types of mental health issues? York which has been mentioned is one option I'd have thought would be an idea. The other most obvious ones would be Lancaster and Exeter IMO. No idea re engineering though. Depends on priorities.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by MidgetFever)
Sheffield may be a good option in terms of mental health, I suffer from GAD and struggle with the social side of university quite a lot (ironically I'm also studying law).

So far I've found them to be very supportive, as well as having therapy centres and whatnot they're quite good with mental health awareness. There's a big mental health awareness society, where you can meet others in the same boat as you, as well as lots of 'mindfulness' events around the uni. I've been to yoga sessions, dog walking sessions, trips around the scenic parts of Sheffield.

My tutors have all been very accomodating with my illness and a lot of the students are understanding and helpful too. Not to mention Sheffield is a pretty good choice for engineering anyway.

Edit - They also offer free gym access during exam season to tackle exam stress.
Oh great, thank you. Yeah I can't quite put my finger on why, but Sheffield seems to have a really safe and supportive atmosphere to me. When I went to Nottingham it really clicked with me and I could see myself belonging there more than anywhere else, but I'm not sure it seemed quite so supportive and friendly to me as Sheffield did. Do you mind me asking what year you're in? And in first year, where did you live, was it in Ranmoor or Endcliffe? (I think that's what they're called)
MidgetFever
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Oh great, thank you. Yeah I can't quite put my finger on why, but Sheffield seems to have a really safe and supportive atmosphere to me. When I went to Nottingham it really clicked with me and I could see myself belonging there more than anywhere else, but I'm not sure it seemed quite so supportive and friendly to me as Sheffield did. Do you mind me asking what year you're in? And in first year, where did you live, was it in Ranmoor or Endcliffe? (I think that's what they're called)
It's probably best to be where you feel most comfortable, so if you felt comfortable and safe in Nottingham then I can imagine that's also a good choice.

I'm about to go into my second year (but I've technically been there two years, I took a leave of absence) I lived in Allen Court in first year, city accomodation as opposed to the others.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Dexter321)
Are home and boyfriend near a university? Also, have you been to any Open Day events? You need to look at only those Uni's (if any) that you can see yourself feeling at home, or at least, see yourself going to.
Yeah I live in London so I'm pretty much surrounded by universities, but I don't really like the feel of most London unis I've been to as they seem to have much less of a close-knit, friendly community feel (just in my opinion). Also as I'd live so close, it would feel pointless spending money on accommodation when I'd be the same distance from home so I'd likely end up staying with my parents and I'd much rather push myself out and get independence while I feel confident to do so.
Also I've been to open days for all the unis I'm looking at and I felt most at home at Nottingham and Sheffield.
Lucybeamish
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Wow it must have felt pretty great to get to turn down that offer haha. University of York seems great, good luck!
Something else I'm a bit worried about is if the night/party life drags on my mental health. I know that you don't have to be involved in the night life and drinking and stuff, but the thing is I love all that. I go to lots of parties and gigs and stuff and it's only recently that it's occurred to me that all the drinking probably isn't helping with my mental health, and I'm sure that in uni all that will do the opposite of get better. Are you looking forward to the night life at York?
What is the night life actually like at York? because I’m going this year and I’m getting worried it will be really dull because of what different people have said.
Lostx
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Register with your GP and try to get an appointment with the CMHT. They will be able to talk on a regular basis. If you are going downhill they are your first point of call.

Also, if your uni has one, seek a counsellor.
summercloud
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm at the point of applying for university and I'm really excited to go and study and move out next year. However, I've struggled from a lot of severe mental health issues particularly in the last few years, and only recently, after a lot of medication and therapy, have I been able to pick myself up enough to motivate myself to actually properly study and think about university and the future.
I'm scared that when I go to uni I'll break down again, without having the support and familiarity of my home, parents, boyfriend etc..
I want to do Mechanical Engineering and I'm looking at applying to Oxford, Bristol, Nottingham, Sheffield and Manchester. But I get the idea that some of those might be more detrimental to my mental health than others.
I suppose what I'm asking is firstly, how other people with pre-existing mental health issues have coped since starting university, and also which of these unis people have found to have the best atmospheres and support systems in place for helping with this kind of thing.
Hi there! I do not attend any of these Universities but know people at Bristol and there seems to be no help in relation to mental health. My friend reached out for support and never got emailed back, but luckily she had a strong network of friends and family to get her the help she needed. I would recommend contacting wellbeing services at the University before you actually attend to highlight the issue, to ensure you are cared for correctly. Unfortunately, due to the large numbers of students and lack of facilities Universities, in general, are not great and are fairly useless. However, this is only my opinion which has been formed through personal experiences.
tbofig
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Lucybeamish)
What is the night life actually like at York? because I’m going this year and I’m getting worried it will be really dull because of what different people have said.
I mean from what I’ve heard it’s okay. Leeds is only 20 mins away on the train so that’s always an option.
byeongkwans
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Loughborough! I know you weren’t even considering it but they do offer great engineering courses. I had a very very bad time with my mental health this year and my uni were so supportive! It made me glad that I chose to go there over the University of Birmingham.
marinade
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The problem with reviews of how mental services are at a uni is they vary. I have heard quite a lot of first hand accounts of the mental health services at one of the universities you're talking about first hand and am also a student there, nominally in the department you're interested in.

There is also the question of how mental health is beyond the university e.g. NHS services vary vastly and other things outside you can do such as mindfulness, charities and so on and local parks, gyms and stuff, it all adds up.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (189)
23.95%
Pop (192)