A level english combined or just english language

Watch this thread
Zara_qwe
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Im deciding between english combined or english language for my a levels. Currently i do history and sociology and would like to maybe do law at university but i would also like to do the english which will allow me to get the best possible grades given i put in the hard work. many thanks
laurrenn
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
Hi. I do english lang and I quite enjoy it. We've done the study of power, occupation, gender, accent, technology etc on language and the links between them. I think this year we're doing child language and where language derived from. There's two bits of coursework, so one's an investigation where you choose what you wanna do e.g language in advertising and then research it, write up your method and say what you found. The other bit is original writing which can be persuasive, to inform, etc. I did a dramatic monologue but some people did a short story. I do like it but I think if you're wanting to do law then it will be quite reading intensive and english combined will have more annotative tasks i think, whilst also giving you the benefit of studying some english language, so you've got the best of both worlds.

Go for combined! Good luck.
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Zara_qwe)
Im deciding between english combined or english language for my a levels. Currently i do history and sociology and would like to maybe do law at university but i would also like to do the english which will allow me to get the best possible grades given i put in the hard work. many thanks
Id do either english language or english literature. I wouldnt do combined.
Zara_qwe
Rep:
(Original post by Emma:-))
Id do either english language or english literature. I wouldnt do combined.
Just wondering? Why do many people say dont do combined?
Zara_qwe
Rep:
(Original post by laurrenn)
Hi. I do english lang and I quite enjoy it. We've done the study of power, occupation, gender, accent, technology etc on language and the links between them. I think this year we're doing child language and where language derived from. There's two bits of coursework, so one's an investigation where you choose what you wanna do e.g language in advertising and then research it, write up your method and say what you found. The other bit is original writing which can be persuasive, to inform, etc. I did a dramatic monologue but some people did a short story. I do like it but I think if you're wanting to do law then it will be quite reading intensive and english combined will have more annotative tasks i think, whilst also giving you the benefit of studying some english language, so you've got the best of both worlds.

Go for combined! Good luck.
Thanks you this really helped but one last question would you say english language is more fun than literature? thanks
Josh5718
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I do English Lang/Lit combined. It’s just as respected as English Literature (accepted at 99% of unis replacing pure Lit) and far more respected than English language (which isn’t accepted at many top unis as a substitute). But putting this aside, I’m glad I chose to study the combined course. It gives you the best of both worlds, and allows you to develop an analytical toolkit that you wouldn’t get from pure Lit, and a breadth of knowledge across literary genres which you wouldn’t get from pure Lang. Though people may say the Lit side is harder, the Lang definitely is. It’s like a whole new subject in contrast to Literature which is merely an extension to GCSE. However once you get to grips with it it’s very rewarding. In Lang you study (or at least I do) an anthology all about Paris, spanning from audio guidebooks, to travel writing, to newspapers. You do a question comparing and contrasting two texts, then you rewrite a text allowing you to explore your creativity, and then you elaborate on your choices in a commentary. In the Lit side you study 1 novel and a collection of poems. But of course this is just AS. I would definitely recommend Lang/Lit - a lot of the English Lit class wish they chose it too. You clearly want to study Lang, and considering you’re aiming to study Law, then I’d suggest taking the combined course because Lit is probably more widely respected by that field and it means you get to do both!
Last edited by Josh5718; 2 years ago
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Zara_qwe)
Just wondering? Why do many people say dont do combined?
Doing them seperate is more common.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (93)
20.09%
The paper was reasonable (177)
38.23%
Not feeling great about that exam... (119)
25.7%
It was TERRIBLE (74)
15.98%

Watched Threads