A*LUQ
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I am planning to switch to a level geography and was wondering about fieldwork. I checked the AQA specification (my school does aqa) and was thinking about the fieldwork section. We already carried or fieldwork in gcse geography so would I have to do it again and if so, what is it like because i know it can vary
xS1m
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by A*LUQ)
I am planning to switch to a level geography and was wondering about fieldwork. I checked the AQA specification (my school does aqa) and was thinking about the fieldwork section. We already carried or fieldwork in gcse geography so would I have to do it again and if so, what is it like because i know it can vary
Hi!

I study Geography with OCR so my specification would be a little different but the fieldwork aspect is the same (I know this because I've been to lectures where the lecturer has said the same thing)

For coursework in Geography, you complete something called an NEA - Non Examined Assessment. You basically just choose a question e.g. "Assess the extent of which deprivation has impacted locals sense of place in Place x" (Don't actually use this question, its purely an example and is VERY vague.) After choosing a question you go out and collect your data - for this you make your own questionnaires, land use surveys, take and annotate photographs. You then use this data (and secondary data from books, online, etc) and compile it all together to answer the question you initially asked.

You can choose your question on whatever you want as long as it links to your spec - anything you choose should be able to link somehow.

Any help and feel free to message me, I'm a student in Year 13 and am undergoing the process of putting together my NEA.

Hope I helped.
A*LUQ
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by xS1m)
Hi!

I study Geography with OCR so my specification would be a little different but the fieldwork aspect is the same (I know this because I've been to lectures where the lecturer has said the same thing)

For coursework in Geography, you complete something called an NEA - Non Examined Assessment. You basically just choose a question e.g. "Assess the extent of which deprivation has impacted locals sense of place in Place x" (Don't actually use this question, its purely an example and is VERY vague.) After choosing a question you go out and collect your data - for this you make your own questionnaires, land use surveys, take and annotate photographs. You then use this data (and secondary data from books, online, etc) and compile it all together to answer the question you initially asked.

You can choose your question on whatever you want as long as it links to your spec - anything you choose should be able to link somehow.

Any help and feel free to message me, I'm a student in Year 13 and am undergoing the process of putting together my NEA.

Hope I helped.
Thank you that was very helpful indeed. However I have chosen not to take it but I do very much appreciate the explanation
xS1m
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by A*LUQ)
Thank you that was very helpful indeed. However I have chosen not to take it but I do very much appreciate the explanation
Ahh fair enough. Might I ask why?
A*LUQ
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by xS1m)
Ahh fair enough. Might I ask why?
No specific reason really. Just wasn’t feeling it
SmartMemoryGirl!
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by xS1m)
Hi!

Hope I helped.
hey are you doing a human topic? I am doing a human topic but I feel like my question is too hard to get evidence for. I am looking a sense of place but I have no idea how I would get primary evidence. I was thinking survey but I feel like that might not be enough.
xS1m
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by SmartMemoryGirl!)
hey are you doing a human topic? I am doing a human topic but I feel like my question is too hard to get evidence for. I am looking a sense of place but I have no idea how I would get primary evidence. I was thinking survey but I feel like that might not be enough.
Yeah my question is how crime impacts the attachment to place in my local area. I’ve completed a questionnaire with a mix of open and closed questions.

I’ve also completed an environmental analysis to see whether crime rates have an impact on the quality of the environment.

Other primary data includes pictures and I’ve decided to annotate the pictures of the place with quotes gathered from the questionnaire.

What are you doing yours on?
SmartMemoryGirl!
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by xS1m)
Yeah my question is how crime impacts the attachment to place in my local area. I’ve completed a questionnaire with a mix of open and closed questions.

I’ve also completed an environmental analysis to see whether crime rates have an impact on the quality of the environment.

Other primary data includes pictures and I’ve decided to annotate the pictures of the place with quotes gathered from the questionnaire.

What are you doing yours on?
I am doing mine on tourism and how that affects sense of place and the environment. I haven't collected data yet but I will be soon. I am thinking about questionnaire but I didn't know what else to do to find out the sense of place. I want to see the difference of how the local vs tourist see it but idk how. That sounds really cool. Have you thought about how crimes negative impact on the environment can reduces place attachment?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • Teesside University
    All faculties open Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19
  • University of the Arts London
    London College of Fashion – Cordwainers Footwear and Bags & Accessories Undergraduate
    Wed, 16 Oct '19

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (109)
17.87%
It's just nice to be back! (166)
27.21%
Not great so far... (218)
35.74%
I want to drop out! (117)
19.18%

Watched Threads