The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Commuting to university of birmingham

Hi, going to university of birmingham this month and wanted to know the best way to commute to university of birmingham from Wolverhampton. If by train, what exactly should I buy?
Thanks!
Use google maps
Put your home address in and campus location and it will tell you the best public transport routes. There’s many options. You can take two trains, one to the centre and from there to the UOB station
(edited 4 years ago)
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
Original post by Mustafa0605
Use google maps
Put your home address in and campus location and it will tell you the best public transport routes. There’s many options. You can take two trains, one to the centre and from there to the UOB station

Thanks! I was also confused about how to purchase the train ticket. I could use the 16-25 railcard or I could buy a pass for £275 per term? What do you think’ll be cheaper?
When I looked into it, from my local station (other side of w. mids tho), the season ticket was only about £5 more (with disabled railcard (both give 1/3 off)) but for the extra flexibility it gives compared to just buying return tickets, it is so worth it. The validity on the bus + tram makes it super convenient for any local journey. After a long tiring day when I've finished uni and I just want to get home quickly, or it's chucking it down, it is very nice to be able to just get the bus home rather than walk.

However, I just remembered the 16-25 railcard has a minimum fare of something like £12 in the morning peak, so unless your lectures are all well into the off-peak, you'll be better off with the season ticket as your getting a significant age related discount that way.

I don't think there is a direct bus to the uni from Wolverhampton, for west midlands journeys you're probably best off using: https://journeyplanner.networkwestmidlands.com/
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by centraltrains
When I looked into it, from my local station (other side of w. mids tho), the season ticket was only about £5 more (with disabled railcard (both give 1/3 off)) but for the extra flexibility it gives compared to just buying return tickets, it is so worth it. The validity on the bus + tram makes it super convenient for any local journey. After a long tiring day when I've finished uni and I just want to get home quickly, or it's chucking it down, it is very nice to be able to just get the bus home rather than walk.

However, I just remembered the 16-25 railcard has a minimum fare of something like £12 in the morning peak, so unless your lectures are all well into the off-peak, you'll be better off with the season ticket as your getting a significant age related discount that way.

I don't think there is a direct bus to the uni from Wolverhampton, for west midlands journeys you're probably best off using: https://journeyplanner.networkwestmidlands.com/

Okay thanks a lot, so you saying it’s worth buying the pass for £275 right?
Yep train to New Street, then a train to University station which is two stops away. You can also get the tram from Wolverhampton directly to New Street.
Original post by i.rai
Okay thanks a lot, so you saying it’s worth buying the pass for £275 right?

Yep. It's what the majority of people use.
Works out at £5 a day (11 weeks * 5 days), compares to £9.10 a day with return tickets peak/£6.70 off peak.

(That said, unless you're doing one of the few courses where you only have to go in 2 times a week it might be cheaper on returns.)

Just be prepared for long queues at University station as it can take awhile to get through the ticket barriers (worst I've had is 7 mins from rear of train - depends how close to the front of the train you are, and time of day).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending