JacobStudent
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Dear chemists,

I'm looking to study chemistry, starting 2020, and have shortlisted a few universities. All I'm asking for is what university you're studying chemistry at, and general feelings;
(-) What the accommodation is like
(-) What the course is like (contact and lab work hours, experience of exams, the teaching style)
(-) Social life, such as socials and the union
(-) Student support, and any financial notes

All of this would be very much appreciated, I could really do with some honest student opinions before making solid choices.

Best regards,
Jacob
Lemur14
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
CheeseIsVeg You must know a few chemists on here?
CheeseIsVeg
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by JacobStudent)
Dear chemists,

I'm looking to study chemistry, starting 2020, and have shortlisted a few universities. All I'm asking for is what university you're studying chemistry at, and general feelings;
(-) What the accommodation is like
(-) What the course is like (contact and lab work hours, experience of exams, the teaching style)
(-) Social life, such as socials and the union
(-) Student support, and any financial notes

All of this would be very much appreciated, I could really do with some honest student opinions before making solid choices.

Best regards,
Jacob
Hey Jacob :hi: :hugs:
University of Southampton
Going into my 3rd Year doing MChem + 6 Month Placement

- accommodation is lovely, variety, was part-catered myself making 1st year super chill and made tons of friends through it
- course is fun, challenging but manageable. 1st year contact hours are about 11-15 per week or something? ngl I found first year easier than a level chem and exams are more chill than with a levels
teaching style is lectures, workshops, tutorials and the staff are awesome, you can email them to set up meetings to go over anything you're not sure about. I like to get some last minute advice before exams from lecturers and they're so understanding during this time too :yep:
- our union is sweet
we actually have our own cinema on campus :ahee:
they run a host of events and their own cafe and bar :pepsi:
every sunday there is quiz and curry where you can win epic cash prizes etc :borat:
social life is both wild and quiet depending on who you are
you get a bus pass included in your accommodation fees so super easy to whizz into city centre to go cinema, restaurants, escape room, bowling, night out, pub, club, theatre - got it all at soton!
- lots of student support
24/7 student life team at every hall of residence to help support you
enabling services and student services to support students with specific requirements and generally - staff are super friendly
we have a SUSU (susu.org) advice centre to help with anything you may be facing - private accommodation, falling out with friends, legal issues, etc etc

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions

(Original post by Lemur14)
CheeseIsVeg You must know a few chemists on here?
:ta: yeah just a few excellent fellows! TheGreatPumpkin Professor L Plantagenet Crown Royal Society of Chemistry
Royal Society of Chemistry
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi JacobStudent,

Great question! It is fantastic that you're asking for information for beyond just the course. You will absolutely get the most out of university by considering every aspect of it before you make your choices.

As the Royal Society of Chemistry I won't directly answer your question as we work with most chemistry departments, but I will highlight our list of accredited courses that you can be confident meet a high standard of chemistry teaching.

The rest, I'm sure, will be covered by lots of TSR-ers who will know lots more about the wider university experience at their respective institutions.

If you do have any other questions though don't hesitate to tag us directly, and as always thanks CheeseIsVeg for looping us in!

All the best,

Gareth
Royal Society of Chemistry.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (56)
67.47%
No I haven't decided yet (18)
21.69%
Yes but I might change my mind (9)
10.84%

Watched Threads