17Student17
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Applications for 2020 GDLs (Conversion Course - non law graduates - Graduate Diploma in Law) open with the Central Applications Board on 1 October 2019 I believe - so next month.

BPP's new pGDL from September 2020 is appropriate for the new SQE exams for aspiring solicitors although it does not include them (that would be another fee, with Kaplan) (but also apparently can be taken by those who want to qualify via the existing route too - we are in a transitional period). https://www.legalcheek.com/2019/09/b...ersion-course/ BPP's new 2020 GDL seems to include company law for the first time as required by the SQE, have exams at end of each of 2 terms (as UoL already has) and lasts a shorter period than the existing GDL course but with as much work - so presumably is harder, crammed into less time which is not much use for those wanting a full year course before doing the LPC after.

BPP say at https://www.bpp.com/sqe - "Our brand new Law Conversion Course (PGDL) for non-law graduates, starting from September 2020, has been designed following extensive research with law firms and aspiring law students. Upon completion, you’ll have the option to progress onto the LPC, or undertake one of our SQE preparation courses *, subject to the SRA’s transitional rules on the SQE."....".In practice, your options may become more limited as the transitional period progresses, as these current programmes may be phased out and replaced by programmes more focused on the SQE."

So you cannot do the normal GDL at BPP in September 2020 even though that is supposedly a transitional year although they appare to suggest if you do their new GDL you can do the LPC the year after with them (BPP guarantee a place on the LPC if you pass the GDL).

University of Law - not clear yet. Their September 2020 GDL may be the same as now. This is my biggest question - what GDL is UoL offering from September 2020 and how can people choose by 1 October for those wanting to get the applications in early if even the BPP fees are not yet issued. May be it will all be clear by 1st October 2019 I suppose.

For those graduating in 2020 wanting to qualify via the existing non SQE route it seems University of Law may be the better choice particularly if they do not change their existing GDL yet.

Obviously those applying this Autumn for training contracts in 2022 which sponsor the GDL etc will simply let their firms decide the route but given firms like Linklaters have said for 2020 non law graduates they will be keeping them in the existng system at UoL for the traditional GDL may be that is the safest route - choose UoL not BPP.

It does feel rather in the dark currently with applications for the GDL going in from the start of next month but without even the fees never mind course details available yet for those currently making their choices.

I have not see any details of UoL's GDL 2020 yet and applications open on 1 October so students are choosing now. Nor has BPP even issued its prices yet for its new pGDL.

The other complication is that some people applying in Oct 2019 for the 2020 GDL amy end ujp not securing a TC this Autumn for 2022 but might end up getting a TC in 2023 instead. I suspect the firms will allow them to complete their GDL and LPC ending in 2022 and have their gap year in the usual way without doing the SQE but it would be really useful to know as if those "gap year" people will be required to do the SQE they would be better off picking the BPP new pGDL which includes SQE elements in 2020 rather than the legacy GDL. My gut feeling however is if in doubt pick the most traditional existing GDP for Sept 2020 which may well end up being at UoL not BPP.

See also https://www.lawcareers.net/Informati...we-know-so-far
Anyone with more information that would be gratefully received.
J Papi
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Is there a question here?
17Student17
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Good point. I suppose I would like to know if anyone knows more about the GDLs BPP and UoL will be offering to 2020 graduates - will UoL's course be the same as this year or will it be offering an SQE orientated GDL as BPP will be?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Exeter campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 27 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20
  • Edinburgh Napier University
    Postgraduate Drop-in Brunch Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (355)
59.87%
Yes- I don't like it (31)
5.23%