Anjn
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
How do I apply for a job when I've never had a job before? I mean will they look at my application and choose the 1000s of other students who are experienced?. I mean my CV is PACKED with extra curricular stuff like Duke of Edinburgh, business summer schools etc but that isnt enough
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Anjn)
How do I apply for a job when I've never had a job before? I mean will they look at my application and choose the 1000s of other students who are experienced?. I mean my CV is PACKED with extra curricular stuff like Duke of Edinburgh, business summer schools etc but that isnt enough
Apply literally everywhere. You will get something eventually.
Shops, supermarkets, cinemas, restaurants, cafes, fast food places, tourist attractions etc etc.
Places will be starting to advertise for christmas roles soon as well.
In terms of applying, look on websites such as indeed.com. Also look on companies websites, as some require you to apply online. Also look in shop/restaurant windows as some places have adverts in the window (and they usually say how to apply).
Try mcdonalds, they take on a lot of students.
Anjn
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
(Original post by Emma:-))
Apply literally everywhere. You will get something eventually.
Shops, supermarkets, cinemas, restaurants, cafes, fast food places, tourist attractions etc etc.
Places will be starting to advertise for christmas roles soon as well.
In terms of applying, look on websites such as indeed.com. Also look on companies websites, as some require you to apply online. Also look in shop/restaurant windows as some places have adverts in the window (and they usually say how to apply).
Try mcdonalds, they take on a lot of students.
Thank you!
Plymouth College Of Art
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Hey there!

Finding a job at university that is flexible enough to work around your uni schedule can be hard, especially if you don't have much experience! I study at Plymouth College of Art, so can't talk specifically about your university, but can for university jobs in general.

If you only need a bit of extra money, I recommend looking into handing out flyers for companies and/or working as a rep for events or nightlife venues, as they often need extra staff and these tend to be really flexible and don’t require previous experience. These may also lead to more work for the companies in future!

I would also look into small independent businesses near your accommodation and uni, as they tend to need people to cover shifts or permanent workers, and are usually understanding and flexible when you say you’re at uni, plus independents are much more likely to hire people with little to no experience than chains. Waiting jobs in cafes are usually reasonably flexible and pubs are pretty good too, as the shifts are usually in the evening, which means avoiding conflicting lectures. You could also try McDonald's? They take on a lot of students.

Jobs that are available at your university are usually great because the uni understands that you have other commitments and may not have had the opportunity to gain experience yet, and they also know that most students like to go home during the holidays, which can be an issue with some university-based jobs. I personally work here at PCA as a Student Ambassador, which has really flexible hours and gives me the freedom to work as little or as often as I want to. The role is usually one that all universities have, with varied responsibilities; the most common of these being working on Open Days, meeting and greeting, and helping potential students and their families and friends find where to go, etc.

This all depends on your uni, and the area, generally. It also depends on how much you want to work, whether the company are looking for people with previous experience and what you're willing to do! Hopefully, someone from your uni will be able to point you in the right directions, too, it may be worth asking if your university has some kind of careers team you could speak to, as they can help with mock interviews and develop your CV so that it says the "right" things!

Good luck on your job hunt!

Hope this helps,
Harriet
Third Year Photography Student and Student Ambassador
Last edited by Plymouth College Of Art; 6 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you worried that a cap in student numbers would affect your place at uni?

Yes (221)
60.88%
No (76)
20.94%
Not sure (66)
18.18%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed