The Student Room Group

Law Applicants 2020

To copy the 2019 thread, so we don't get 40 different threads which deal with the same topic.

University choices:
What subjects are you studying?:
LNAT:
Predicted grades:
GCSE grades:
Why law?:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Notoriety
To copy the 2019 thread, so we don't get 40 different threads which deal with the same topic.

University choices:
What subjects are you studying?:
LNAT:
Predicted grades:
GCSE grades:
Why law?:

I don't wish to offend anyone, but does anyone really care why people want to do Law? Can't we all just assume it's for the money
Original post by harrysbar
I don't wish to offend anyone, but does anyone really care why people want to do Law? Can't we all just assume it's for the money

We really can.
At least the applicant was 'passionate'. :biggrin:
They should have gone into the waste management business, like Tony Soprano
Loving this thread already :tongue:
I am disturbed that you came up with that. More sleep is needed, I think.
Original post by cmf246
tbh, decided to apply for law because didn't really know what else to do with my subjects (History, English Lit, Economics). Was dissuaded from studying English, wasn't sure what I wanted to do for a job in the future and thought Law was a broad enough and interesting enough degree to go down any employment route. Getting on training contracts post-degree is tough and many can't get one, so I don't think we can assume that we'll all be rich lawyers.

I like your realism. Do you mind sharing your grades/predicted grades and where you are thinking about applying?
(edited 4 years ago)
University choices: Dundee, Glasgow, Strathclyde, Aberdeen, Edinburgh
What subjects are you studying?: Scots law or Scots and English Law
LNAT: not done yet
Predicted grades: AAAAA (Scottish Highers)
National 5 grades: AAAAAAA
Why law?: wasn’t really sure what I wanted to do so I looked online and law matched the subjects I’m best at (social subjects). Went to some taster days, mooting days, student shadowing and work experience in the holidays and came to the conclusion that it’s the course for me!

I dunno... Sometimes it takes them a little while to realise that it's just for the money.

I was one of those that kidded myself that I actually enjoyed it until I actually started studying it at degree level :lol:
Original post by cmf246
tbh, decided to apply for law because didn't really know what else to do with my subjects (History, English Lit, Economics). Was dissuaded from studying English, wasn't sure what I wanted to do for a job in the future and thought Law was a broad enough and interesting enough degree to go down any employment route. Getting on training contracts post-degree is tough and many can't get one, so I don't think we can assume that we'll all be rich lawyers.

I wasn't being serious, sorry I have a terrible habit of thinking people should be able to tell when I am trying to be 'funny'. I should stop.

Where are you applying to this year then?
Good luck!
I suffer from the same affliction Lioness, at least we understand each other 🤷🏼*♀️
Reply 12
I suffer from the same affliction Lioness, at least we understand each other 🤷🏼*♀️

Maybe i'm just a bit slow today and can't keep up with the humour haha
Original post by cmf246
Maybe i'm just a bit slow today and can't keep up with the humour haha

You just need to get the hang of the Law forum which I’m sure you soon will :smile:
Reply 14

I love to hear pages of drivel on the motivations of kids to do law, invariably and primarily because they watched Suits
Reply 15
University choices(not 100% sure): Durham,UCL,Warwick,York and Nottingham.

Studying: biology,chemistry, psychology and sociology

LNAT: I will be sitting it December/January time

Predicted grades( I’m resitting biology and picking up a new subject-extenuating circumstance ): A*A and A D from my previous results.

GCSEs:4A* 5A 2B

Why I want to do law: I didn’t really enjoy science while I was doing my a levels.I prefer debating and using my analytical skills therefore I decided to pursue law rather than med/dentistry.
I need to do some work experience, however, to find out what law is really like.

Nevertheless, a law degree is really useful.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Sm9988
University choices(not 100% sure): Durham,UCL,Warwick,York and Nottingham.

Studying: biology,chemistry, psychology and sociology

LNAT: I will be sitting it December/January time

Predicted grades( I’m resitting biology and picking up a new subject-extenuating circumstance ): A*A and A D from my previous results.

GCSEs:4A* 5A 2B

Why I want to do law: I don’t really enjoy science and I prefer debating and using my analytical skills therefore I decided to pursue law rather than med/dentistry.
I need to do some work experience, however, to find out what law is really like.

Never less, a law degree is really useful.

I'm going to ask the obvious question....why don't you drop the subject you are predicted to get the D in so you can concentrate on the other 3 and give yourself the best chance of hitting the A*AA?
Reply 17
I'm going to ask the obvious question....why don't you drop the subject you are predicted to get the D in so you can concentrate on the other 3 and give yourself the best chance of hitting the A*AA?

I’m resitting I got ACD last year.

I didn’t enjoy chemistry hence why I got the D so I’m picking up a new subject this year ( sociology) and I’m retaking biology.
Original post by Sm9988
I’m resitting I got ACD last year.

I didn’t enjoy chemistry hence why I got the D so I’m picking up a new subject this year ( sociology) and I’m retaking biology.

Fair enough.

You might want to check out the stickied thread at the top of the Law forum on Resitting A levels, it's got some useful information in it.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 19
Fair enough.

You might want to check out the stickied thread at the top of the Law forum on Resitting A levels, it's got some useful information in it.

Ok thank you

I have extenuating circumstances for my resit therefore i will have to contact UCL, Warwick etc to see if they would still accept me.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest