The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website

Film Studies help

Hi there,

I’m starting a film and drama degree at university but I’m worried. I am really uncomfortable with nudity and sex in films but I know we will be having screenings of these films. I really don’t want to see anything of the like at all as it is against my beliefs and makes me feel really bad. I’m too embarrassed to say anything to anyone so I don’t know what to do. If I don’t watch these films I’ll ruin my course but if I watch them I’ll have a huge sense of moral guilt and feel generally uncomfortable due to personal reasons.

What do I do?
Original post by Anonymous
Hi there,

I’m starting a film and drama degree at university but I’m worried. I am really uncomfortable with nudity and sex in films but I know we will be having screenings of these films. I really don’t want to see anything of the like at all as it is against my beliefs and makes me feel really bad. I’m too embarrassed to say anything to anyone so I don’t know what to do. If I don’t watch these films I’ll ruin my course but if I watch them I’ll have a huge sense of moral guilt and feel generally uncomfortable due to personal reasons.

What do I do?

Hello, lovely.

The best advice that I can offer is to contact the course leader, or your lecturers individually. You're ok to call up your university too to ask them for the emails if you do not already have them. Explain the situation and ask politely if there is a method of avoiding what you'd like to not see. University is diverse and constantly bidding to better cater to its students, so I am sure that asking is no bother and likely very helpful.

Best of luck.
Student in halls, University of Hull
University of Hull
Kingston-upon-Hull
Visit website
I guess bring it up to your teacher but just stomach it somehow. If it's awkward just try and see the funny side
Reply 3
Original post by it'snotthecounty
Hello, lovely.

The best advice that I can offer is to contact the course leader, or your lecturers individually. You're ok to call up your university too to ask them for the emails if you do not already have them. Explain the situation and ask politely if there is a method of avoiding what you'd like to not see. University is diverse and constantly bidding to better cater to its students, so I am sure that asking is no bother and likely very helpful.

Best of luck.

are you sure they'll be okay with it? i'm really scared of being judged or laughed at. do you think there would be a student support I could speak to?
Original post by Anonymous
are you sure they'll be okay with it? i'm really scared of being judged or laughed at. do you think there would be a student support I could speak to?

I imagined so! As I said, it wouldn't be inclusive of them to ignore your preferences. You'll absolutely not be judged, that I can promise. We've all got our own set of ideas/beliefs. Student support is definitely an option, too. Are you able to contact them?
Reply 5
Original post by it'snotthecounty
I imagined so! As I said, it wouldn't be inclusive of them to ignore your preferences. You'll absolutely not be judged, that I can promise. We've all got our own set of ideas/beliefs. Student support is definitely an option, too. Are you able to contact them?

I've just contacted them now. I'm really scared for their response - I don't really want my classmates to find out :/

Quick Reply

Latest