I really don’t know what to do Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I don’t know what to do. I’m 16 and I started college a few days ago and I’ve already ran home crying on both occasions. It’s so anxiety inducing for me and I can’t take it already. When I got back my mother hugged me and said I don’t have to go. But all weekend I’ve been crying my eyes out over it. If I go I’ll be so unmotivated and panicky and on edge the entire time, but if I don’t my family will disown me. I’ve already had numerous texts from family members saying that I’m throwing away my life and I’ll end up working in McDonald’s but I just can’t take it anymore. I feel so trapped. Today my mother has been extremely unhelpful, for the last few months she’s said she would call the doctor and guess what? She never has. I begged her to today but she won’t, saying they can’t prescribe me anything at my age. Why say she will when she won’t? She also said it’s my responsibility at my age, which is completely unfair since I’m not an adult yet, and I can’t do this alone. I thought she would understand since she dropped out of college and is on antidepressants. She said that my problem is I’m ‘mentally ill and should be in an asylum’. She’s also been saying that I’ve had months to change what I want to do and that I knew it would be like this but I really didn’t know I’d feel this way. My father is not helpful at all, telling me to just get on with life when I can’t. I really can’t carry on like this. I feel so alone. It is getting closer and closer to Monday and I really don’t know what to do tomorrow. It’s not fair that they want me to suffer just so I can get a few more qualifications. I’d rather earn less and be happy than have to be surrounded by immature strangers who are my age, and have to do so much work that I never have any spare time. Why are there never any other options for school leavers?
Last edited by Interrobang; 1 week ago
cam777
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If you're apparently old enough to sort out your own mental health problems then I reckon you're able to decide on whether you go to college or not. There's no guarantees with college anyway, it doesn't mean you're going to be prime minister when you leave because you have some A levels. Ultimately, if you aren't happy and aren't enjoying it, there's little chance that you will finish successfully. It seems like you aren't going to get any support from your family to you need to accept that you are going to handle the next few years by yourself. You can go and see your doctor by yourself and they will be really supportive and helpful. You will be offered talking therapy or medication, both of which may help you cope with, and maybe even enjoy college life. Outside of college there are opportunities for apprenticeships in a whole range of different subject areas - this is the other route that 16 year olds are able to take after school. I think that if you take the first step with making a doctor's appointment you'll instantly feel empowered and mentally stronger to make decisions for your own life. In a few years you're going to be moving away from home so your own happiness and wellness is the only thing that you need to focus on. As long as you are not letting yourself down then nothing else really matters. Good Luck!
squeakysquirrel
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I don’t know what to do. I’m 16 and I started college a few days ago and I’ve already ran home crying on both occasions. It’s so anxiety inducing for me and I can’t take it already. When I got back my mother hugged me and said I don’t have to go. But all weekend I’ve been crying my eyes out over it. If I go I’ll be so unmotivated and panicky and on edge the entire time, but if I don’t my family will disown me. I’ve already had numerous texts from family members saying that I’m throwing away my life and I’ll end up working in McDonald’s but I just can’t take it anymore. I feel so trapped. Today my mother has been extremely unhelpful, for the last few months she’s said she would call the doctor and guess what? She never has. I begged her to today but she won’t, saying they can’t prescribe me anything at my age. Why say she will when she won’t? She also said it’s my responsibility at my age, which is completely unfair since I’m not an adult yet, and I can’t do this alone. I thought she would understand since she dropped out of college and is on antidepressants. She said that my problem is I’m ‘mentally ill and should be in an asylum’. She’s also been saying that I’ve had months to change what I want to do and that I knew it would be like this but I really didn’t know I’d feel this way. My father is not helpful at all, telling me to just get on with life when I can’t. I really can’t carry on like this. I feel so alone. It is getting closer and closer to Monday and I really don’t know what to do tomorrow. It’s not fair that they want me to suffer just so I can get a few more qualifications. I’d rather earn less and be happy than have to be surrounded by immature strangers who are my age, and have to do so much work that I never have any spare time. Why are there never any other options for school leavers?
Of course they can prescribe stuff at your age. Cal, the gp yourself and make the appointment. Take charge of your life.

Oh and there is nothing wrong with working in McDonald's. It is an excellent company with a very good career structure
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

Are you attending a Global Climate Strike?

Yes, I'm striking (8)
6.45%
No, but I wanted to/I support the cause (69)
55.65%
No (47)
37.9%

Watched Threads