Moving in to a rental with no hot water or fridge Watch

CharloBme
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hey all, in need of a bit of advice.

I have moved into a rental property that currently has no gas, or fridge/freezer (which was confirmed as being included in the property). The estate agents have essentially been ignoring my emails since I paid my deposit, it's going to be at least a week until my gas is turned back on despite the fact that all that needs to be done is fit a door to the gas box. It was confirmed to me that I would have a fridge 100% by Friday, so I ordered a shop for Saturday delivery, only to be told over the phone when chasing an ETA that the job was actually booked in for next Wednesday.

I also have not been able to top up my electricity with the number I was provided with, when I finally got through to the supplier after days, I was told the number I had been given was completely wrong and the estate agents must know this, as they topped up £5. I'm also told the estate agents have not only put the account in their name which means I can't access it, but they only made the account two days after tenancy start, and would have been aware of the lack of gas and electricity because they've been off for three weeks according to records.

So currently I have no hot water or heating, and no fridge to store food. I will probably have to join a gym if I want a warm shower. Is there anything I can do here? Can I demand some rent back, or do I run the risk of being evicted if I do so? From what I can tell from the supplier, the estate agents knew that the property had no gas and electric and have just let the problem fester until my tenancy start. Hasn't been the best experience so far to be honest.

A bit bummed out.
Last edited by CharloBme; 1 week ago
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by CharloBme)
Hey all, I have quite a bit of a story and I'm in need of some advice.

I have moved into a private rental for this coming academic year, as it was much cheaper than going down the extortionate student lettings route. When I was asked when I'd like to start the contract and move in, I let the agents know it would ideally be the second week of September, they insisted I started on the 1st. Fine. I had already paid full deposit, advance rent was to be paid 48hours before move in, I paid 72hours in advance and emailed in with conf and request for key collection date. Come Monday, one day past tenancy start I still had no response, so I attempted to get hold of them via phone again. When I finally got through I was told I actually couldn't move in yet, and couldn't for some days because the property had no electricity which they were trying to sort, so I held off on packing the car. Come 11.45am on Tuesday I receive a call asking what time I'll be in to pick up the keys because they need me in the property to let the engineer in... I live two hours drive away! Miraculously, I made it in time but it turned out that the property also had no gas, which the engineer could not turn on because the box had no door, this was a simple fix and both he and I left voicemails for the estate agents. Looking round the property, I also realised that there was no fridge, it was confirmed to me over two weeks before that the property *came with a fridge*. So the next day I make another trip up with bulkier furniture, by the time I get to the city I've still had no response from the lettings agency. When finally I got through via phone on Thursday morning, they hadn't even read my emails or listened to the voicemails, but they say it's okay because there's a fridge and a washing machine in the property below that they're going to fit on Friday, so they need me to be in the property all day.

Come Friday, I ring to ask how long they'll be because I need to pop out to get a shower. After being passed from agent to agent, I'm told that no one will be arriving today because it was booked in for next Wednesday, even though I was expressly told to wait in for them all day, no one could say why I wasn't contacted with an update. Because it had been confirmed to me I would have fridge freezer in the property by Friday, I had a food shop delivered for the Saturday, some of which was frozen so now defrosted.

I also have not been able to top up my electricity with the number I was provided with, and when I finally got through to the supplier after days, I was told the number I had been given was completely wrong and the estate agents must know this, as they topped up £5 cash on Wednesday for me at a shop... I'm also told, the estate agents have not only put the account in their name which means I can't access anything due to data protection, but they only made the account two days after tenancy start, and would have been aware of the lack of gas and electricity because they've been off for three weeks according to records.

So, currently I have no hot water or heating (heating isn't needed during the day, but it gets v cold at night), I have no fridge to store food. My friend who's shower I was using has just gone home for a week, so I'm alone in the city now and will probably have to join a gym if I want a warm shower. I won't have hot water until at least the end of the week, because they still need to call an engineer out to deal with the gas box once a door has been fitted. I won't even be able to top up the gas meter anyway, until the agents contact the supplier, vacate themselves from the property and register me. Is there anything I can do here? Can I demand some rent back, or do I run the risk of being evicted if I do so? From what I can tell from the supplier, the estate agents knew that the property had no gas and electric and have just let the problem fester. Hasn't been the best experience so far to be honest, I don't even know what their excuse for the fridge is.

A bit bummed out.
It really didnt need to be that long.

Talk to Shelter or make a complaint to the letting agents. They may have an arbitration system such as arla. You will still need to complain to them first.

https://england.shelter.org.uk/get_help

You can also call CAB
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (203)
23.88%
Pop (210)
24.71%
Jazz (33)
3.88%
Classical (46)
5.41%
Hip-Hop (166)
19.53%
Electronic (58)
6.82%
Indie (134)
15.76%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise