Are Bocconi bachelor's degrees equivalent to four-year US bachelor's degrees? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I am considering applying to Bocconi's BSc International Economics and Finance course this fall and have this major concern. I am not sure whether Bocconi's 3 year bachelor's degrees are generally accepted by US universities.While some US unis are more flexible, it seems that both Harvard and Stanford do not accept candidates with 3 years bachelor's degrees for their master's courses. And unlikely some UK unis which offer both 3 years and 4 years bachelor's courses, Bocconi offers only 3 years' courses. Therefore, graduating with a Bocconi bachelor's degree would make me ineligible for a master's degree in Harvard or Stanford. Does anyone have more information regarding that?
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Well, I found minor scandals about UB in early 2010's media

but recently Google Reviews give this sort of review (supported by several other serious positives)

"Università più prestigiosa d'Italia, una delle prime in Europa e al mondo, didattica eccellente, molto motivante, strutture di primo livello. Davvero il top per la formazione universitaria!"

= 'best in Italy'

whilst another review said recently

"Università che copia tratti di business schools anglosassoni.
Qualità della didattica sotto la media nazionale al di là delle classifiche stilate da importanti giornali, distorte da interessi ideologici e politici."

= a uni that simply copies UK/USA business schools, with poor teaching - bigged'-up by the newspapers, this uni has distorted ideology

and other reviewers carried on accusing Bocconi as being a neoliberal disaster, supporting austerity etc (but that is subjective), several suggested "Go abroad" those who can

but basically the reviews in Italian language were split, pro & against - no clues anywhere as to how Harvard & Stanford would take students from the most prestigious (private) uni of Italy. My visits to Harvard & Stanford did not reveal that many italian accents, and I much preferred the weather in Stanford. I however turned down a job offer at Stanford, after I saw the multi-vehicle armed police response in the dorms, to a campus rumor that an undergrad was seen near a bottle of beer

I'd say on the whole the Bocconi reviews came out positive, I didn't read all 400!

looking wider - I found some pages, again from 2009 and that sort of era, that mentioned

"Università Bocconi- L’accordo bilaterale di scambio Harvard-Bocconi 2008" so an exchange system with USA a decade ago
“Harvard ha accordi reciproci di scambio con soli tre atenei in Europa, e il nostro è uno di questi” but nowt on Master

Can't you do a 4th year , single year MSc at LSE or Warwick, Leeds etc after three in Milan - one option? or just INSEAD
Italy used to offer endless six year bachelors, they let you out once you had memorised satisfactorily all of your text-books, probably
Anonymous #1
(Original post by LuigiMario)
Can't you do a 4th year , single year MSc at LSE or Warwick, Leeds etc after three in Milan - one option? or just INSEAD
Italy used to offer endless six year bachelors, they let you out once you had memorised satisfactorily all of your text-books, probably
Unfortunately it seems that this is not an option, at least this is what I read in some forums. Apparently they have turned down many applicants with 3 years' bachelor's degrees. The posts I read actually referred to degrees from UK universities, but I guess it doesn't matter whether it is a UK ot Italian uni, as long as it is a 3 years' degree.
Anonymous #1
Just to clarify my previous post : what I actually meant was that applicants with a 3 years' bachelor degree AND one year master degree from UK universities have been turned down from Harvard and Stanford because this combination is not considered equal to a 4 years' bachelor degree from a US university.
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
not considered equal to a 4 years' bachelor degree from a US university.
Wow, OK - I appreciate the clarification, viz US education. Amazing.

"not considered equal to a 4 years' bachelor degree from a US university " I hope you have watched all seasons of the Chevy Chase et al. "Community" - just for background :-)

they are wrong IMHO to 'reject' 4-EU-yrs, as a degree from Warwick in Engineering , then a single year Master at ÈPFL , Lausanne (might even be paid CHF16K.- to do the Master/some teaching, but it is competitive entry) can get you into the Swiss employment system on CHF100K.- p.a., some French/Deutsch may be needed.

US is the land of opportunity, and it is apparently highly fashionable to get a degree/further degree there - some colleges, when you include the fact that often accom. is included in the high fees, are close to value for money, as many in UK aren't, but still - I turned down all three of my job offers in USA at particle physics labs - NASA wouldn't talk to me as I'm a brit, I couldn't live there other than for a few months. Harvard has nice bookshops and a sweet location near Boston, coffee is great, my friend Tim has worked decades at MIT and they really supported him. Stanford has wonderful statues in their rose garden, I saw the great Karl Popper give a lecture when I was there, coffee is also good. (unlike everywhere else in the otherwise nice US)

I think you'll have to research further in USA itself, find the appropriate student forum/instagram-feed whatever and ask your detailed question there.
My Italian friends who graduated from Milano universities typically went to Sweden to do further degrees, some went to Limerick!
A friend who started last year at Bocconi just transferred to a Paris uni for her second year, I don't think it's erasmus, she just changed..

have fun, enjoy the coffee
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 20 Sep '19
  • Loughborough University