Two Weeks Holidays before assessments Watch

H_A_2000
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hey Everyone, I was wondering if any of you have ever been in the same position. My university has just released its timetable and I’ve found that I have some assessments scheduled for the week I get back from xmas break. I have 3 double weighted modules this year and 2 of them have set a ‘class test’ worth 15% of module as part of coursework ( coursework makes up 50% of each of the modules and the other 50% is the final exam).

The problem is this summer I booked a two week trip to Thailand over our four week xmas break. And I’m afraid that over this time I’ll forget everything I need to know.

Last year I wasted a lot of time going over the top with details and trying to be a perfectionist before realising too late that it was impossible to remember all of the work I had made for myself. Luckily I finished with 1st in all my modules and never got lower than a 2:1 in any coursework I handed in, but in doing so I managed to make a lot of extra work for myself. I’m hoping that this year I’ll avoid making those same mistakes and be able to revise more efficiently. Coupled with really working hard at those modules during the week, at the weekends and at over our reading week in October, as well as during the week before and after we go I’m hoping I’ll have done enough to know the work really well to stop myself from getting stressed. But it will be lots of really difficult work and As I said I’m worried that those two weeks away will wipe my mind of all the info😳.

I’m in my second year of pharmacy and we were told last year the school had gotten rid of xmas exams, which is why I booked the trip in the first place.

Overall the exams are worth 15% of each module and the year itself is only worth 5%. So I know that even if I completely tank them it isn’t the end of the world. But still has anyone else been in this position? Did you explain to your module coordinators before? Were you able to sit the exam in advance to get it out of the road? Did you revise for a few hours while you were away?

Cheers for all the help!

cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by H_A_2000)
Hey Everyone, I was wondering if any of you have ever been in the same position. My university has just released its timetable and I’ve found that I have some assessments scheduled for the week I get back from xmas break. I have 3 double weighted modules this year and 2 of them have set a ‘class test’ worth 15% of module as part of coursework ( coursework makes up 50% of each of the modules and the other 50% is the final exam).

The problem is this summer I booked a two week trip to Thailand over our four week xmas break. And I’m afraid that over this time I’ll forget everything I need to know.

Last year I wasted a lot of time going over the top with details and trying to be a perfectionist before realising too late that it was impossible to remember all of the work I had made for myself. Luckily I finished with 1st in all my modules and never got lower than a 2:1 in any coursework I handed in, but in doing so I managed to make a lot of extra work for myself. I’m hoping that this year I’ll avoid making those same mistakes and be able to revise more efficiently. Coupled with really working hard at those modules during the week, at the weekends and at over our reading week in October, as well as during the week before and after we go I’m hoping I’ll have done enough to know the work really well to stop myself from getting stressed. But it will be lots of really difficult work and As I said I’m worried that those two weeks away will wipe my mind of all the info😳.

I’m in my second year of pharmacy and we were told last year the school had gotten rid of xmas exams, which is why I booked the trip in the first place.

Overall the exams are worth 15% of each module and the year itself is only worth 5%. So I know that even if I completely tank them it isn’t the end of the world. But still has anyone else been in this position? Did you explain to your module coordinators before? Were you able to sit the exam in advance to get it out of the road? Did you revise for a few hours while you were away?

Cheers for all the help!
I don't think that your module tutors will be willing to let you sit the exam in advance because of your holiday. You do have some of your Christmas break when you aren't on holiday that you can use to refresh and revise for your exam. If you are worried, you could also do a little revision when you have time whilst on holiday. If you organise the rest of the time you have effectively, you should be prepared to sit the exams - try not to worry so much. Enjoy your holiday, just get your study materials organised and put your best efforts into your work.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top

University open days

• Regent's University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Sep '19
  • Durham University
    Pre-Application Open Days Undergraduate